breaking in a dac

well, i've finally done it. i bought a boulder 1012, after to listening to my dealer's demo off-and-on for several months. so, my questions (yes, i’ve searched--found nothing on point): (1) does a standalone dac benefit from break-in? (2) if, as i suspect, the answer to #1 is "yes," how best does one do this without scaring the dogs or the neighbors (i.e., do i need to power up my amp and speakers to normal listening levels)? (3) if i need a resistive load, can i jury-rig a device (all inputs and outputs are xlr)? TIA -cfb

BTW, for those sometimes mystified by internet-speak abbreviations, here's a great website primer:

http://www.computeruser.com/resources/dictionary/chat.html
cornfedboy
thanks for all the responses, guys. i'm supposed to get delivery of my new toy on monday, next (we'll see). i'm having it fitted with an st glass input, so i can take advantage of the matching optimized output on my accuphase dp 90, which i'll still be using for now. i'll also use some accrotec or trara six nines coax into the boulder's special adapter for it's aes/ebu inputs, so i can toggle between the inputs remotely. yes, this is my christmas gift to myself. -kelly
I realized that I messed up a bit on my last post. I just checked the Boulder website (still drooling :-) here) & confirmed my suspicions that the 1012 is a DAC / pre combo, so my statement that "the preamp doesn't have to be powered on" is obviously wrong in this case (would apply correctly to a standalone DAC with separate pre).
So now Kelly, you'll also need to breakin the analog stage, the line stage, & the aes inputs. I believe that the phono board will terminate it's input regardless of input selector switch position, so that could likely be run simultaneously while the digital input is also cooking. Regarding your analog tuner & aes inputs, I wonder if those input stages terminate only when those switch positions are selected? Call Boulder to find out & if it does terminate then you can also breakin those simultaneously; if not, then obviously they will have to be done separately at a later time.
I hope this all makes sense; frankly I'm not accustomed to dealing with hardware at this performance level, but it's still nice to share a bit in your fun. Please do let us know how it all sounds; I'm sure that it'll be a real treat!