Recommendations for a CD Recorder

I am considering buying a CD recorder. Does anyone have any thoughts on a good choice? I have read a lot about Philips and a lack of reliability on audioreview.com. Are the recorders on the market basically the same for recording purposes? I do not need the recorder for playing CDs. I need it just for burning CDs.
mchd1
I was in the same place as you Mc. I eventually went with the Denon 1500 dual deck CD burner. However, I sold it and am now in the process of purchasing a unit from Lansonic. Please go to there web-site at Lansonic.com. I guarantee you will be interested.

E-mail me and let me and let me know what you think.
I have a Marantz 6050 or 650, I can't remember the exact model number, anyway it cost about $600 a year ago and is a dual tray CD recorder w/capability of recording analog to Cd also. The player has been extremely reliable and makes flawless copies in double time. My friend has had 2 Harmon Kardon recorders in the same time period, both recorded at quad speed, and both went on the blink within a month or two of purchase. The higher speed recorders may not be a wise choice, esp. since recording at double speed is pretty fast. My friend replaced the Harmon Kardon with a Pioneer dual tray recorder that has given her no problems at all. Hope these anecdotes help you in your decision.
I have a phillips CDR 880 that i used to transfer a fairly large LP collection over the past 2 years i burned approx. 400 Cd's with not a single malfunction or frisbee. If you are interested I am done with it and it is in perfect condition with all paperwork and origional box. I have not tought abot a price but i think $400 is fair. e-mail [email protected]
Hi, Mchd1. There have been fairly extensive and helpful discussions in the not-too-distant past. Search the forums for "cd recorder" and you'll see many posts that will help you narrow down what you're looking for. I tried a two-well consumer deck but returned it and switched to a Tascam single-well pro deck -- but that's just my particular situation. My general take is that CD-to-CD recording quality is excellent on most decks out there, so you just need to worry about features, price and reliability. If quality analog-to-CD recording is important, you may want to be more selective. Again, the old threads make a great start.
I'll second the TASCAM recommendation. Try to check out a TASCAM CD-RW700 at a pro music or musical instrument shop, not a hi-fi store. You can use cheap computer discs and are not subject to the other limitations of the "consumer" recorders from Philips, Pioneer, etc.