EMC-1 vs. Levinson 360s/Sony SCD-1

I've narrowed my digital Redbook front end down to two choices, both of which will cost me under $4K used. (The "under $4K used" is the important criteria here for me)

The current front-runner for me is a used/demo EMC-1 with the new 24/192 upgrade board at a cost of under $3,500 -- there's seems to be very wide concensus that this is one of the better Redbook players under $10K.

Choice #2 is my current Sony SCD-1 coupled with a Levinson 360s (which is also under $4K used, if you can find one).

I listen to a very wide range of music and have both tubes (Aranov) and SS (Classe 301)amps with a Placette Active Line Stage. Whereas, I realize that few of us have a chance to hear the new upgraded EMC-1, comparisons to the older model are also fine. And if you've listened to another DAC in the $4K used range with the Sony SCD-1 and you liked what you've heard, then please comment.

I've ruled out the following: (probably the best -- DCS - but too expensive, even used). MSB Platinum (sounded a little dark to me, as if it was taking something away when trying to get rid of the digital edge. Mephisto II (dealer who sells both says the the new EMC-1 is equal/better and a whole lot cheaper).

I think many of us are sitting on the fence a little with respect to choosing between a good one box player (EMC-1, Audio Aero, Mephisto II, Meridian, etc.) and the better transport/DAC combos (Levinson. DCS, Wadia, etc.)-- which to me, seem a bit pricey considering the quality of the very best one box players.

Pls1, who has done a lot of comparisons in high end digital, posted in another thread that he thought the differnces were very subtle between some of this high end stuff, sometimes just 5% or so -- has anyone else done extensive listening/comparisons? --Lorne
lornecherry
Lovin' my Audio Aero Capitole 24/192 CD player- closest to analog I have heard- incredibly natural, plus the volume control lets me go straight to amps. Its a great one-box solution for me anyways. Good luck!
Lorne, I would urge to go to the Ayre.com web site and just read the reviews on the Ayre D-1. I believe you will be extremely impressed. I just bought a new one but I do not have it hooked up yet. I hope to have it running this weekend. I know you but it new for 4000. Rivercitylad
I use a Pass Labs D1 with a SCD-1 and a 9000ES. Both are very musical through it. Even my dish network box sounds good through it. All details are on Pass Labs' site. The downside is I was recently told there is a 52 week backlog for them. Maybe there are some dealers with demos. A demo should be had for under $4000. Heck I'd sell mine for that and I love it. Best Regards, Aaron
Just got a EMC-1 with the 24/192 upgrade after owning a Marantz SA-1 and Wadia 860. I'd have to say the EMC-1
does everything better than either of my prior players.

A fully burned in Marantz SA-1 is the best redbook player I've heard.... Until I compared to the EMC-1. Side by side the Marantz and EMC-1 have similar detail but the EMC-1 is easier to listen to.

Try for yourself. At the price of a used EMC-1 + the upgrade, you'd save big bucks over ANY of the real competition.
Thanks, Bwhite .... I think it will be the new EMC-1 MKII as you suggest -- seems to be the best value in high end digital, at least for the moment. Also, Stewart at Sancturary of Sound (my dealer) swears by the new 192 upgrade and told me he liked it better than the $7,500 Mephisto II, his previous favorite. Can't wait to have a listen.