Skipping CD's

I have a Karik CD player that is about 8 years old. Can aging lasers cause CD's to skip? It happens only with some CD's and it does not matter if they are originals or CD-R's
ajpat
Ajpat, my 7-8 yr old Karik is having lots of problems w CD-Rs and only a very occasional problem w commercial CDs. If the laser indeed is the problem, I may be out of luck, because parts for the laser assembly of older Kariks are no longer available. If I am able to get a replacement laser assembly, I'll probably keep the Karik for quite a while and update with a DAC -- I agree the Karik is a very good transport. I've sent my Karik to Linn in Jacksonville to find out exactly where I stand, and I'd be glad to let you know what I hear from them.
Heard from my dealer that Linn USA said there is nothing they can do to upgrade or improve my Karik... kind of disappointing. My machine's serial number is around 9400.

Ajpat, did you get anywhere with your inquiry?
I just got my Karik III back from Linn. It was skipping just as Ajpat describes. The dealer was not optimistic, as he said that parts unavailability is killing older Kariks. But Linn fixed it and sent it back in 10 days, including shipping, for $235. Good as new. Needed springs in the transport. So, based on that experience, I doubt it's the laser. But I also doubt it's reparable.