Turntable Advice

Now that I have a few good Beatles LPs on the way, I need to buy a turntable. My old Sony just isn't going to work. I have narrowed things down to a few models and would like some input from you all. All of these are on A-gon now, although I haven't been in contact with all of the sellers yet. Anyway, the choices are:

VPI Scout- the advantage I see here is that they are fairly new and seem to have a good rep. Not the most pleasing to the eye.

VPI Mk3- Several variations available, good rep, I would upgrade them to MKIV. One has an ET-2 arm. They are all at least 10-15 years old and quite used. I do like how they look the best (wood base).

Linn Sondek LP12- Lots of these around. At least 15 years old, good reputation, tried and true. Nearing the end of their useful life?

When all is said and done, I will probably be into these for about $1500-2000. Since I have no way of looking at or auditioning them before I buy, I feel like I'm just taking a shot in the dark. I appreciate any thoughts you all have.

Thanks,
Rick
rcj1231
Buy a Technics SP-10 MKII in good condition. They've
become difficult to find, however it is likely to be
your last turntable. I've had one for about 8 years,
and they are outstanding: low rumble, high torque,
built to last, highly musical. I'm using one with an
SME IV arm and Denon 103D MC cartridge. I've got a
fairly "high-end" system, but have no desire to upgrade
the analog section. It is a vinyl classic......
I've nothing against the VPI but if I were going to start again, and did not intend to spend big bucks following the upgrade path - I'd opt out with a Nottingham Horizon with a Rega arm. Its been review well and has a pretty fair following.
buy a notting ham, sandpaper, router, old vcr tape out of the cassette and a planer with very sharp blades ;-).

most TT will perform well. if you have an unlimited budget spend it otherwise keep the TT simple and after you mount a good cartridge try an expensive interconnect and hear the difference from stock.

enjoy the music!
I just bought a Nottingham Spacedeck and I am stunned. Extreme musicality, detail, resolution, bass response - everything is excellent. I put the Space arm on it and this thing is just unbelievable. Simple is better and these things are simple squared. Great product! MM
LP 12 is a solid performer and is not fussy. Their useful life has no end since they have without fail been updatable. So you can get an old one and bring it up to date at your pace, or just buy new. There are better, but in a much higher price range.