help with DAC w/current system

I've never used an outboard DAC before, but have a chance at a killer deal on a Classe DAC-1 (Stereophile class A, $4000 retail). I currently have a Rega Planet CD player with a nice Classe amp and B&W speakers. Does anyone know what and how much of an effect a DAC like this would have on a system of this caliber? Any ideas would be appreciated.
audioguy3107
Based on my experience, most ot the newer 24 bit dacs are much better, then any of the older 20 bits converters. This holds true even for the modestly priced 24 bit dacs, like a modified MSB Link. (Assuming that it has a modified output section ,like a Stan Warren mod, which is only a couple hundred dollars). I hold Classe products in very high regard, but if this particular Classe does not have 24bit converters, you can probably do better. The newer 24 bit dacs are that good! Ever wondered why so many 20 bit Theta's and Levinson's are now dirt cheap on the used market?
Ehider, you make a very good point. Audioguy3107 needs a home demo to detenmine whats best.
I believe a good outboard DAC will make a huge difference in your system. The original Planet was an excellent product but widely held to be tuned down to sound more analog-like--it's also said to make a good transport. A good DAC will strip away all the veils and open up the sound significantly while preserving the musicality.

I can't speak to the Classe DAC, but if it's been out for a while it's probably using technology that's a few generations old and not upgradeable. It probably was excellent for its time, but technology has moved so fast, especially with DACs, that I think you're better off going with something more current.

That said, I would highly recommend trying the Electronic Visionary System's new Millennium DAC II that you can get for around $1050. You can try it risk free for 30 days, and I'd be willing to bet you won't send it back. I've had the original Millennum DAC 1 for a year, and it handily beat my Dusty Vawder modified MSB Link DAC that it replaced. The DAC II uses even higher quality parts, better(i.e. more minimalist) design, and does upsampling and is upgradeable to SACD/DVD-A. You've got nothing to lose and everything to gain.

As for cables, I agree with others that this makes a big difference. If you don't want to break the bank you can get an Apogee Wyde Eye cable that runs about $30 for 0.5m and will get you a good part of the way there(hard to find, but I found mine at Guitar Center as Apogee cables are used frequently in professional setups). I've also heard good things about the DH Labs digital cable, but after that I think you're well into the triple digits to get significant improvement(Illuminations, Acoustic Zen, etc.). Start with the Wyde Eye--it'll tell you what you need to know and you can experiment from there.

I'm upgrading to the DAC II and then waiting a year or two until the new formats mature a bit and the dust settles--I won't buy this stuff until there's a digital out, and that may take a while. I also might add the Perpetual Technologies P1A to my DAC to get true 24 bit interpolation(different from upsampling) and room correction capabilities(HUGE benefits to any system). Best of luck.

Tim
The Mapleshade Double Helix digital cable is $120.00 new. I use it with the Bel Canto DAC and love the sound which is organic/analog like with fine detail and full bass. They have a less expensive version for $32.50 new (I have not tried this one). Both are with a 30 day return.
I have Classe CDT-1 and DAC-1. Cables are important and I recommend the Illuminations Orchid. You also might want to try a Monarchy DIP between the transport and DAC. I've been experimenting with the DIP, Illuminations Orchid and D-60. All of them provided improved performance to varying degrees.