dcs Elgar/972

Does anyone have experience with these components? I have a basically all-Linn system, except CD, which I am looking for now. Would this be a worthwhile upgrade? Suggestions on CD player to go with it?
sdarmstadt
You might want to audition the Muse. The Model 8/296 combination is almost as good as the Elgar but the combo is about $7K, way cheaper then the dcs systems. Its hard to find places that have these systems. I live in the Denver area and all the good stereo stores doen't even know about upsampling and get it confused with the SACD and DVD-Audio wars.
Linn Ikemi is quite a fine CD player. Most people find it very close to the CD-12. You need exceptional electronics to appreciate significant differences. Point is: the ikemi can also be used as a transport, which it does quite well!! If I were you and had a linn system (therefore I assume you like the "Linn" sound) I would but the ikemi, and wait. Over time the format/conversion wars will end and an upgrade DAC will be musc cheaper, In the meantime you will have a really fine and enjoyable CD player.
The dcs combo is the best i have every heard and I have heard alomost every digital combo. However, mny companies are racing to release upsamplers and new generation DACs. I'm ignoring the format wars since it will be years before my favorite perfomances get re-released in the new formats. I want the best possible digital sound from standard CD's for extended listening to classical and opera. However, we are talking about A LOT of money for an improvement that you WILL be able to hear but you might not think it is worth it. I think it is likely that in the next 12 months equipment will be available to upsample and decode cds that will come close or rival the dcs for a lot less. I have several units I'm waiting for from several mfgs to evaluate over the next few months. BUT, if they don't perform I'm going to buy the dcs.