Step-up Transformer, what's lost?

Hello all:

I'm currently on my third phono-pre, and I still don't have enough volume! My cartridge is a low output MC (0.23mv), so, by the time I get the volume to my listening level, I get a hiss from the tubes, or a scratch from solid state during the quiet passages of music.

I'm thinking about adding a step-up transformer but I'm afraid of losing detail.

What is the collectives' experience with the trade-off when adding a transformer?
consttraveler
I have the ARC SP-8 preamp with a MM phono section for years. I have gone through many step-up transformers including the last one I had (Counterpoint SA-2 Tubed pre-preamp) which I thought was the best of them all. In my opinion, even the best step-up will deteriate the sound quality to a certain extent. The best sound is the most direct path from your source to your speakers. Anytime you add another piece of component and interconnect you will loose in sound quality. I had the Benz Ruby (0.35mV) and had experimented with or without any step-up. The results have always been better in sound quality without step-ups but without the proper dynamics. I love the SP-8 and don't want to replace it with a MC phono stage which could be very expensive. I have always liked the details coming from MC cartriges and don't want to use a MM catrdge. The problem was just about all MC cartridges are low output. In recent years, there are many very good quality HO MC cartridges coming onto the market. I finally sold the Ruby low output and bought a HO MC cartridge. Now, the sound quality remains and the dynamics is there too. To me, the best step-up should be right at source. Most MC phono stages have built-in step-up transformer as well as tubes to reach the gain they need. Most tubed MM phono stages use only tubes for the gain. I think that makes a difference. Before, we didn't have too many choices but now we have choices of many good quality HO MC cartridge. Good luck.
Sidssp: currently I am using a Dynavector 17D-II and a Herron Audio phono pre. I have tried the Coph Nia and Rega Fono.

Blptwp: I like the Dynavector very much (I have never heard any cartridge with the detail it translates) and would rather not change cart's. However, I am afraid that if I add a step-up, I'll get the volume I want but will lose the detail. What to do - What to do?
Odd, i have a Dynavector xx-2 (same output as the 17d) and the herron, an I have no problem at all with volume. the herrom has 65 of gain, which is right for the .23 output. I feed the herron into a Kora Eclipse pre, andplay one of the new rega p9 turntables. The volume at relaxed listening is around 9 o'clock, froma starting point of 6 o'clock. I have cranked it to 11 or 12, and do not hear any backgound noise until 3 or so (not playing any music). does your pre use balanced interconnects to you amp(s), and is you turntable isolated?
Herron phono amp has two versions one for MM and one for MC. The MC version has about 66db gain that should be enough for the Dynavector unless your preamp is very low gain also. Are you using the MC version?