Speaker wire is it science or psychology

I have had the pleasure of working with several audio design engineers. Audio has been both a hobby and occupation for them. I know the engineer that taught Bob Carver how a transistor works. He keeps a file on silly HiFi fads. He like my other friends considers exotic speaker wire to be non-sense. What do you think? Does anyone have any nummeric or even theoretical information that defends the position that speaker wires sound different? I'm talking real science not just saying buzz words like dialectric, skin effect capacitance or inductance.
stevemj
Well, stating that psychology is science was such a reach I almost went right past this discussion.
But I like the subject so.
For the past 5 months I have lived with 3 cables. An 8 foot pair of Harmonic Tech Pro-11 Plus, an 8 foot pair of Alpha-core MI 3 Divinity, and a 2 meter pair of Nordost Red Dawn.
Up front there are very noticeable differences with these cables but any kind of blind testing will not answer which cable is best or what are the specific differences. The only way that I could really tell the differences was to listen to music day after day with the different cables in for 2 weeks at a time. ( All cables were broken in before this test ). My equipment is a set of Dynaudio 1.3 SE's with a Krell 250a and a NAD Silverline pre amp ( Al my interconnects are Harmonic Tech Pro Silway ). Not the most refined or the best matches but good enough to easily tell the signature of each cable. I used my "non-audiophile" wife to check for the real obvious differences which were obviously easy to hear.
But only after continuous listening real differences become definable. Each cable had it’s plusses and minuses. Non did everything well and none did everything bad. In fact, there were all very good cables.
But only one was the best overall for my particular system ( It was the Harmonic Tech which was probably due in part to having the rest of the system wired with the same wire ). Musical instruments sounded different. The bass was better, tighter. Or the highs were more silky or defined. The highs and the mids were blending better. I think that one of the real issues is Synergy. ( Which test would an Electro-Eng use to identify or define that scale? ). In case that description didn’t wave at you. Gapping a non-resistor AC spark plug to .030 instead of the recommended .035 gave my 351 Cleveland Mach I a noticeable power gain in the 3500 to 4000 RPM range. It didn’t show on the scope. It just did. And so did I .
Well, I don’t give a rat’s fart if you hear the difference or not. I wish that I could not tell a difference. It would have saved me lots of money. Heck, imagine how much money we all could have saved if a Sound Design all in one system sounded the same as our current equipment. That would be great! But even little children can tell the difference. And so we must do the obvious.
If and am psychin’ myself and everyone else who hears my system. Then I really have some awesome powers and I am going to try to find a way to charge for them. The bottom line is, you hear the difference, buy them. You don’t hear the difference, don’t buy them. Just enjoy your system
As far as spending $10,000 on a set of speaker cables, I don’t see that ever happening. No matter how much money I make. There are just too many cables out there that will get you to 90% to 95% of the way. If you have spent $100,000 on your system, then by all means, get the very last ounce of resolution. That is your deal. I respect that. But I will not. The diminishing returns are not enough for me. Every time I looked at my $10,000 speaker cables, I would be able to hear the manufacture sitting on his yacht laughing at me. And then I will need to spend some real money on some Psych to convince me that I can’t hear that.
Frankly, the scientists have failed this hobby badly. Why do we listen to them at all? Amplifiers started out as single-ended triode, driving high impedence efficient speakers. But scientific theory said push-pull would cancel distortion, that transistors would have less distortion, that CDs would be perfect because the maths said so. So now we are headed back to where we started - single-ended triode valves, high impedence efficient speakers. I suspect we will ditch digital at some point and use lasers to read analogue wave forms off disks again. So just where do you get your faith that some very basic prep school science theory can tell us all cables sound the same?
Redkiwi: Your ignorance is astounding. Scientific theory never said digital was perfect. Marketing guys said digital was perfect. Nor does science claim that all cables sound the same--quite the opposite (despite what the equally ignorant original poster here believes). Science does say that transistors have lower distortion than SETs. I'd love to see your evidence to the contrary. (And, no, the fact that you like their sound better does not make them lower in distortion.) Get your facts straight.
Jostler - I keep asking for science. If you know of some physical laws that say cables of the same size should sound different, apply the laws and show some numbers. I am all ears.
WOW! I keep seeing words typed but I just keep hearing BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH