Amp+Cords or New Amp, best bang for $$$

If I have ONLY $4k to spend on an amp, should I get a less expensive amp and put the rest to Power Cords or should I spend the whole enchilada on an amp. I currently have a BAT VK-500 with BAT PAK and PS Audio Lab Cables but am very curious about the Levinson 333. This isn't necessarily about my specific choices, but rather the wisdom of spending $1k or more on cables prior to upgrading an amp. I sometimes wonder if it isn't a lot like those hopped-up toyotas. Like many of you, I use Audiogon as my listenening room so I'm looking for some feed-back prior to "using my ears" to decide. FYI- Sonic Frontiers T3/P3, BAT Vk5i, Dynaudio Confidence 5, Kimber KCTG ICs and Cardas Golden Cross Speaker Cables.
metaphysics
Metaphysics: The debate is so wide over cables in general, you really should use your ears to decide. I have never upgraded the PC on my amp, because it is still under warrenty and the PC's (two pieces) are integral. I did use an inexpensive PC by Harmonic Tech on my CD player which I recently moved to my DAC. The improvement is a major one in my system, however I also have a poor AC source (live in an apartment building in LA) and am around TV and radio stations as well. You can demo PC's from the cable co for shipping charges and perhaps a small fee (not certain, maybe no fee), I also assume that you would pay for the cord, to be refunded upon return, but check with them. The Cable Company's web site is at (fatwyre.com/). They will also help you select a chord or chords based on your equipment, budget and taste* (* use the comments box on their request screen). If the chords do not do it for your system, you can move on with having spent very little money to audition the chords.
I'm in agreement with Dekay as to the pc issue - it is all over the place - try before you buy! You have a very nice system now and I think that better amp would make more of a difference than a lesser amp with an aftermarket pc. IMHO, trading your amp for a $3000 one would accomplish less than spending the full amount on a new amp - hey thats just my opinion...
PS: I will be using The Cable Company (as soon as some new stuff in my system settles in) to audition digital cables. My only other alternative is to buy used and sell which I feel is too much of a bother. They also have many used cables as well at nice discounts to choose from (Hit the used cable link on their website). I was ready to chuck my CAL player until I upgraded the PC. Who knows, you may get off cheap and get the sound that you are looking for.
Metaphysics, I'm curious, what are you trying to achieve with changing your amp and/or power cord? On the surface, you appear to have a very high quality system and I question whether a new amp is really necessary.
Hwy: Acutally, I am quite happy with the BAT/PS Audio PC combination. However, I am interested in hearing the Levinson 333 which can be had for <$4k. That's when I started thinking about the cost for an amp+cords vs. a more costly (and *possibly* better) amp. For example, is it typical that a $6k amp hooked up to two $3k King Cobras sounds better than amplifiers that can be had for $10-15k with their stock cords? I know that it is always tough to generalize, but I'm wondering if many of the benefits of PCs could be had at a similar price point. To be clear, my assumption is that PCs can make huge differences, but I am debating whether they are a band-aid and the money could be better spent on electronics. I will probably end up buying a 333 and then keeping whichever I like more (including the power cords).