Two cable questions

1) Why does skin effect occur if electricity always takes the path of least resistance? 2) Is silver a better conductor than copper with both AC and DC, or just one?
ezmeralda11
I have tried the DIY CAT 5 recipe on http://users.nac.net/markowitzgd/ with great results. Cat 5 network cable is 24 gauge Teflon coated solid core copper (99.99% OFC). Anyone else tried this?
You can buy 99.999% pure, teflon coated, 22 gauge solid core silver wire VERY cheaply(even cheaper for 50+ feet, $1.80/foot) at HomeGrown Audio. I will be using their version of Kimber KCAG interconnect. Only 2 differences: Kimber is stranded, this is solid core. The other difference, price 1 meter for $70(terminated)! I have used the KImber wire with great results, this may be even better.
Sol322, the three solders I tried were the Wonder solder, WBT solder and the custom solder manufactured for Purist Audio Design (do not know who made it for Jim). The WBT was the brightest, the Wonder Solder in the middle and the Purist was the most neutral. I tried these solders on interconnect cables, AC connectors (Hubbell), and on phono cartridge clips (that connect to a phono cartridge). If you need to buy one of these on the open market, the Wonder Solder is the most likely candidate. The Purist Audio solder I tested does not sell as an individual product, I got the sample from Purist in order to repair an interconnect that was damaged in shipping. Hope this helps!