Impress Your Friends and Seduce Women!

I seem to have lost a very interesting thread on how to best demonstrate to laymen why we spend tens of thousands of dollars on equipment and tolerate garden hosed sized wires sprawling across Persian carpets. Has anyone thought more about this topic? A gospel (?) track with chorus sounded very nice -- sonic fireworks with musical integrity is what is required. Only audiophiles listen to Mannheim Steamroller and the Fresh Air series. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
cwlondon
Redkiwi's above post touches on what to me is a really significant aspect of enjoying music, and that is simply "state of mind". Sometimes no matter what I listen to, it doesn't sound good, and I just have to quit. Other times music will "calm the savage beast", and then there are those "magic moments" where state of mind and music quality come together to actually produce a sort of euphoria. I can't explain it-- too subjective (as many things audio are); but state of mind during a listening session sure is important to me. I would also say that audiophiles seldom either recognize this, or maybe just don't want to admit it? Or talk about it? Example; the other night I had a tense verbal "disagreement" with Dogface's woman (a neighbor), and later no music sounded good-- finally said to hell with it and went to bed. Craig.
We kiwis are carrion for cats and dogs, and I suspect garfish are gobbled up by pussies too, but when I put it like that perhaps you have a point Albertporter.
Post removed