Best Speakers - low volume & nearfield.

Any opinions on the best speakers for low volume nearfield (6 feet?) listening. This is a difficult area for top quality speakers and I'd appreciate help. Does anyone have experinece here?
timothy_m
I second that. Very detailed without having to be played at high volumes. I've heard the steps, the tempo III and the virgo - all great speakers. The only negative is that for them to get the spooky imaging thing to work, they have to be placed well into the room and be away from the sidewalls.
Seek out KEF Reference-II ($2700/pr or so). Their tweeter is built into the midrange driver for perfect time alignment at close range.
Also look into the Audio Physic "sparks", they are a slim floor standing speaker with a little more bass than the "steps". Check out http://www.audiophysic.de/ for the complete line.
Revel Salons have a great close presence. The back fire tweeter will open it up for you at 6 feet. Also any of the mid line SoundLabs.
Reference 3A MM de Capos. Only one capacitor between 8" driver and tweeter. 92dB efficient. WOn best in show honors at Montreal. Read about it in "$10K System" at www.audiotweakers.com