Two subwoofers in smallish HT room?

My home theater system is set up in a 16x11x8 ft room. I currently have one line-level HT subwoofer in the front-right corner. It's a very good subwoofer (Vandersteen V2W), but it needs to play pretty loud to produce good LFE. When it plays loud, it seems to localize.

I've been thinking about getting a 2nd sub and locating it near, but not in, the back left corner of the room in an attempt to smooth out bass response and give me the opportunity to turn down the volume on the front sub.

Does this make sense, or will it make in-room bass response worse? Is the room too small for two subs?
rex
Two small subs should load up the room very nicely and at the same time have the benefit of speed and adjustability. Definitely try different locations for best results. Good luck!
Definitely 2 subs. You can place them on opposite ends of the room and get some modes to cancel out. Much easier to get 2 working well as opposed to 1, particularly in a small room. Make sure they are the same sub.
Two of the same subs for sure. I try to match wave launch of subs with that of the two front mains.Measure out from back edge of dust cap to front edge of each respective speaker and sub. The difference will be the amount of offset..Typical sub will be 1 to 3 inches in front of mains..Acoustical phase match of subs to mains is critical in this type of alignment though more easily heard and measured. Recommend direct coupling of speakers to floor for even smoother bass much lower spurious cabinet noise and better hand off to mains.Tom
I don't know about Rives suggestion about canceling room modes by having one SW at the back, but, years ago when experimenting with matrix quadraphonic sound I found that bass from the front speaker could be greatly reenforced by the rear speaker playing the same signal, but with phase inverted. This would happen if the speakers were one half a wavelength apart.

I tend to think of subwoofers as just another driver of the speaker system, so that each speaker should have its own colocated SW. I have three for my front channels, and would have two for the rears if I thought that the rear LF response was a problem.
Eldartford

Phase inverted rear sub is being put to use by a few people these days...along with myself.

I read about this at Vmps's web site around 8 years ago so gave it a listen and loved it. There was also a long thread at the Audiocircle forum regarding this about a month ago. If I recall, the guy that posted on it had 4 subs.

Dave