DIGITAL HIGH-RES AUDIO SYSTEM -HELP PLEASE

I need your expert advice on building a 24 bit/96Khz, 24/192Khz max, computer based home audio system I'd like to integrate into my home audio/ht system. I'm not totally clueless on what I need but I could definitely use some advice and direction as well as helpful tips. I have a fairly good audio system I currently use for ht and music playback. So, I'm not starting from scratch but want to incorporate computer audio and WAV and FLAC file streaming and storage into my system. Video streaming and storage can wait for a future time.

My current system consists of the following:
Plasma HDTV
Full 5.1 surround setup (5 spkrs and 1 subwoofer with in-ceiling surrounds).
Three separate stereo amps that power the main l/r, subwoofer/ center and l/r surrounds.
Directv satellite source (box has HDMI and digital audio output)
Older DVD/CD player as source used for movies and music.
Surround sound processor (older unit with just coax and optical audio inputs/outputs, no HDMI or USB inputs/outputs).
Separate tube preamp with HT Passthru. I'd run computer analog outputs to this for 2-channel listening.

For computer audio I already have some components:

Newer Laptop with 4 USB2.0 ports, dual core processor, 2 GB RAM and 110 GB internal hard-drive that can be solely devoted to a computer audio system(only 35 GB free on HD, however).
Wireless high-speed LAN with smart HDTV already attached and streaming Netflix, Hulu, Pandora and Amazon Prime to the tv and laptop.
JRiver v19.0 media player installed but no downloads yet and only a handful of cds ripped.
Cambridge Audio DacMagic 24 bit/192khz DAC.

My current budget is only about $1,500 and was thinking my next steps should be to:
A. Buy a new or used Oppo BDP-103 or, preferably a BDP-105 to replace my DacMagic and Sony DVD,CD player and get at least into 21st century technology.
B. Buy a NAS next to connect via USB to my laptop when more funds become available.

So, please let me know the following:

1. Am I thinking correctly and on the right path with buying an Oppo followed by a NAS?
2. Is there a method to connect my laptop, and future NAS wirelessly to the Oppo? I'm currently running a 12ft USB cable from my laptop to my DAC. I know cabled is better than wireless but curious how much better.
3. Any suggestions for a good, affordable NAS?
4. Does the Oppo BDP-105 have internal surround sound decoding capability that would allow me to run analog cables to my 3 HT amps directly from its analog outputs and substitute for my Parasound processor?

Thanks in advance for any advice and guidance.
Tim

128x128noble100
Tim - If your concern that the router will not have enough connection capability -then you should be ok - most routers of this type can handle upwards of 100 wireless links - at least the ones I have worked with - which include Bell and Rogers

I think the newer models can handle 256.

If you want more ethernet ports you can simply add a regular router and daisychain it to the wireless router.

If you are concerned about throughput - don't worry - high speed routers perform at rates much higher than audio requires.

I took my wired devices (computer and NAS) up to gigabit throughput and it made no difference to playback - even the 24/192 files

Hope that answers your question
Tim, I really don't mean to be patronizing here, but I think you may be well served if you do more reading/research into NAS. I continue to wonder why you think you need it. In any event, a plan to connect NAS to the Oppo via USB suggests to me a misunderstanding of NAS. An external harddrive is something one might connect to the Oppo via USB, but if you invest in NAS you definitely want to connect it directly to your router via Ethernet.
Tim, that all sounds promising in terms of having reliable wireless connectivity. And I agree with Willie/Steve that the router won't have a problem routing between any reasonable number of devices.

If you were to ever find yourself wanting more than the four ethernet ports it provides, btw, the simplest and most inexpensive way of accomplishing that would be with an "unmanaged" network switch. Many models are available at Newegg at very low cost. All you would do is connect the cables to it; no setup or configuration would be involved.

I took a look at the literature on the two NAS devices at the manufacturer websites. One thing that strikes me is that I'm not at all sure that the Seagate NAS is capable of operating wirelessly, through a wireless dongle. There is a very confusing reference to wireless connectivity under "system requirements," but I believe that is intended to mean that for a computer to communicate with the NAS the computer itself needs to be able to connect to the router either wirelessly or wired.

The Synology NAS, as you probably realize, requires that a third party dongle be purchased separately for wireless connectivity. Their site lists a great many suitable dongles.

Regarding USB connectivity, I believe that if the NAS were designed to be able to connect to a host (the Oppo in this case, or a computer) via USB, its USB connector would be the square type, that is used on printers and other peripherals, rather than the rectangular type it has, that is used on computers. And, consistent with GZ's comment, a NAS is basically intended for use on a network, via a router.

Regarding GZ's questioning of the need for a NAS, I think he makes a point that is well worth considering. It would probably be simpler and cheaper to just get two USB external hard drives, one used for playback and the other for backup. Or better yet, get three drives and have two backups.

Regards,
-- Al
Al,Steve and Steve,

I think you're correct, I may not have a need for a NAS. I realize I have limited knowledge on setting up a computer based audio/video system and therefore may not be thinking about this in the best manner.
You have all been very kind and helpful and I don't want to take up too much more of your time.
In retrospect, what I really should have asked in the beginning is the following:

I want to incorporate an Oppo 105 into my HT system. I'd like to use my laptop, running JRiver V19, to store and playback 24/96, 24/192 and ripped cd audio files wirelessly to the Oppo. I also want to increase my laptop's storage capacity to at least 1TB and have a backup system in place.

What do I need to accomplish this?

My main concern is sending audio files wirelessly to the Oppo for playback.

Does the included wireless dongle on the Oppo allow this?

Or do I need to add something on my laptop to permit this?

Should I just upgrade the internal hd on my laptop to a 1TB unit?

Do external 1TB hds exist that are wireless or do they all connect via hardwire into the USB port?

Ideally, I'd like to locate an added hd next to the Oppo in my rack.

Thanks in advance,
Tim

You can use Win8 WMP wirelessly to stream audio to your OPPO. It is a DLNA device so this is built-in. The problem will be audio quality (jitter) because it uses a clock inside the Oppo for master clock. Also, not sure how user friendly DLNA will be with Win8. I have heard some complaints.

If it were me, I would use a USB converter like the Off-Ramp 5 that delivers a low-jitter hi-res signal over coax to the Oppo. You will have to connect the computer (any type) using up to 16 foot USB cable to the USB converter and then a really good coax cable about 1.5-2.5m long to the Oppo. The coax input on the Oppo is very good.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio