How Important is the receiver vs separates in HT?

I'm in the process of significantly upgrading my HT system.I haven't been serious until now.My first step is to upgrade my receiver.Next I will upgrade my speakers.The system will be used for 100% HT. After looking at numerous flagship Japanese receivers especially the Denon 5803 and the Pioneer 47&49TX,I am about to make the decision to buy the new B&k 507. My thinking is that the processors in all these units must be very similar. Also with the post proceesing being THX ultra 2 in all the models I am guessing I shouldn't notice much difference there. Does anyone disagree with my thinking re the processing of these models? I am leaning toward the new B&k because of it's amplifier.I'm told, but am not sure, the B&k has a better(bigger) power transformer and more Mosfet amplifiers per channel than any of the Japanese receivers.Also that the B&K is more open and less harsh sounding.Do you agree?? The only hestitation I have (so far) is that people with Lexicon's Logic7 keep telling me it's processing ability "blows away" DPL2 and DD-Ex and even DTS-Es.Is that true in your experience and if so is it worth the huge difference to buy the Lexicon Mc12 + an Amp?I will be running a system with 2 sides and 2 backs.Lexicon owners swear they always watch all movies in the Logic 7 mode and it always sounds much better than any Dolby,ThX2 or Dts mode. Can that processor be that much better? Sorry for the long question But this is major purchase for me and I don't want to make a mistake. Thanks
zbob
Well, I can't speak to the newer (and much better, I'm sure) Lexicon MC-12, but I have a DC-1, and IMO, it is NOT better than Dolby Digital or other discrete playback. It is KILLER for non-5.1 encoded material (use it for cable/satellite, and you'll even enjoy the commercials!), but I still watch all my 5.1 DVDs in THX 5.1, which adds THX post-processing. Of course, the Logic7 in the newer Lexicons is probably much better.

For 100% HT, I'd say you COULD probably go with the receiver and be happy. The only thing about a receiver is that you'll need to avoid difficult speaker loads -- stick with 8 ohm models and you should be ok.

Keep in mind, though, that you don't necessarily have to buy a new MC-12 if you want Lexicon -- DC-1s, DC-2s, and MC-1s regularly pop up here on A-gon, and I'd be willing to bet that one of those, coupled with good amps, would stomp the receivers you're looking at for the same price -- not to mentioned being much more readily upgradeable when Lucas decides he needs even more money . . . . ;-0)
The biggest mistake you could possibly make is not trusting youre own ears. Dude.... Make a decision on what makes you happy. If youre so reliant on others opinions as far as making a purchase, I have some cheese in the fridge that I think sounds great. $500.00 a lb. and does DTS and 24/192.
Get good line conditioning and sit back and listen how smooth and open the sound becomes. Make sure you are using speaker wire that is heavy enough, too.

There's a group purchase going on at Harmonic Discord regarding the DeZorel filters. I might go for one unit, as they don't restrict power.
I guess if you have a separate HT digital decoder, you can upgrade it as new technologies come out, without having to change your base system.