Buying new DSS system: HDTV or just AC-3.....worth the ??

HI all -video question...
i'm switching to DirecTV and need to buy a new receiver and dish. currently i only have an analog TV. My options are:

1. just buy a dish and AC-3 receiver (about $200 installed) and keep my TV (hitachi ultravision 53"), or...

2. buy an HD receiver and dish (about $599+149+99=$850) plus upgrade my TV to HD ready (about a $2-3k upgrade after sale of current TV), for total of about $2.5-3.5k.

QUESTION: Is spending that much extra $$ worth going to HD at this point, or am i better off waiting, spending the $200 now to get AC-3 and then upgrade the TV and receiver at a later date??

THANKS!
bazmataz
Spend the $200 now and wait on HDTV. There is very little being broadcast in HDTV over DirectTV. Dishnet has more and has even dedicated a third satelite to HDTV, but the amount of material is still pretty dismal. Even some of the movies that are so called HDTV are just upconverted and I find that their image quality is less than playback on my DVD player. (While resolution is increased color saturation and contrast are decreased--also the HDTV signal is only a pass through on my Faroudja DVP2200.) If you are happy with your Hitachi I would wait for more program material.
I agree with abstract7, the HDTV offerings on Directtv are few. However, I would go ahead and install an 18 x 24 oval dish so you won't have to change it later if you decide to go the HDTV route.
done. i'm buying the $200 receiver tonight with the 18x24 dish. ill keep the hitachi for now. think it's worth it to upgrade the tv anyway to at least have a digital signal?

\baz