Audiophile considering HT

Well, I'm thinking of adding HT to my 37" Sony TV, DirectTV Dish, Toshiba HiFi VCR. I've got plenty of audio systems, and good ones at that, but have no interest in including audio and video together, so I'll need to build a HT system from scratch. Since the sound isn't critical (movies, sports), I don't want to spend a bunch on money on it but being a 'phile I don't want junk either. I know very very little about HT other than I'll need a DVD player, fronts, backs, sub, center channel and some sort of amp. The smaller and less obtrusive the stuff is the better. Budget is undetermined but I figure a couple of grand for some reasonably current (but used stuff) should do it. Any suggestions is much appreciated, Jeff
jeffloistarca
Jeff- the location of the L&R isn't that important, but I would say ear level is right. Center channel is key, and on top or below TV are both used. Probably don't need great cable for rears. Save $ from the long runs and get good cable for LCR. Rear placement is probably an experiment, but I am told reflected sound may be best (like along side wall at watching position but pointed at rear wall). Thats why lots of dipole/bipole designs for rears. I would think 5-700 used for the NAD. Have fun. It actually makes TV and movies lots more fun.
Jeff--Like I said, an NAD D-D A/V Receiver should be about $700.00 at the max. If you shop around, you might even find one at a closeout sale for less. Also, try "e-bay". There might be some used NAD's at that site you can get at incredible prices. The key then is to make sure you don't bid no more than the market price for this item (and you can check the "Orion Audio Blue Book" in order to determine this). Like I said, I gotten two FM Tuners (a Magnum Dynalab FT-101, and a lower priced NAD 4155 AM/FM Tuner) that exact way. I also got my VCR (a Sony SLV-R5UC S-VHS Hi-Fi VCR........ a $1,300.00 deck a few years ago, but I got it for $250.00....... THANKS "E-BAY"!!!!!!). Maybe you might score an NAD D-D A/V Receiver that exact way. Good luck. --Charles--