Audiophile considering HT

Well, I'm thinking of adding HT to my 37" Sony TV, DirectTV Dish, Toshiba HiFi VCR. I've got plenty of audio systems, and good ones at that, but have no interest in including audio and video together, so I'll need to build a HT system from scratch. Since the sound isn't critical (movies, sports), I don't want to spend a bunch on money on it but being a 'phile I don't want junk either. I know very very little about HT other than I'll need a DVD player, fronts, backs, sub, center channel and some sort of amp. The smaller and less obtrusive the stuff is the better. Budget is undetermined but I figure a couple of grand for some reasonably current (but used stuff) should do it. Any suggestions is much appreciated, Jeff
jeffloistarca
The 302s would make fine rears also. Some people like to use the same basic model speakers, so they will voice the same. (Same tweeter). For typical Japanese stuff, Onkyo is good build quality for the price. An HT receiver is the best bank for the buck. If you go to separate Dobly Digital DAC, etc, you are getting into Videophile teritory and more $$$$$$. Happy viewing.
If B&W and not high dollar go with ASW 1000 or 2000 subs. (The 2000 better choice of the 2 since it does OK with music too). The ASW 500 is so so in my opinion, but OK if all you want is good explosions.
Hello Jeff--How are you doing?? Sounds like you're in the same exact boat as I am in (for home theater, while I don't want something that is on the same level as my audio system, I'm not just going to settle for just anything either. My home theater consists of: (01). Panasonic CT-27SF37 27-Inch Direct-View TV, (02). Sony SLV-R5UC S-VHS Hi-Fi VCR (gotten used off of "e-bay"..... for $250.00!!!!!.... and all it will be used for is for movies that I decide I don't want to buy in DVD medium and to tape sporting events (football and basketball games)), (03). Yamaha DSP-A780 Dolby Pro-Logic Integrated Amplifier (Dolby Digital isn't for everybody), and (04). Sennheiser HD-580 Headphones. My next projects are a DVD Player (I'm looking at either a Sony DVP-S7700 or a Pioneer Elite DV-09 in the upcoming months) and Speakers (don't know what I am going to be getting at the moment, but I am looking at B&W (300 Series), PSB (Alpha Series), Paradigm (Cinema Series.... I think that's what it is, not sure), Atlantic Technology (System 170) and Boston Acoustics (System 9000))all include subwoofers). For you, I would consider speakers from either B&W (600 Series to start, but consider 300 Series only if you want to save money), PSB and Paradigm. And for Audio/Video Receivers for home theater?? I would look at receivers from NAD, Onkyo, and Yamaha if you are considering a receiver at moderate cost (you should be able to get a Dolby Digital Receiver for around $500.00, and I would spend no more than $700.00, tops). Denon would be a distant fourth to me (only their top three models would be worth considering), but maybe not to anyone else. If you consider one of the pre-packaged Speaker packages specially designed for home theater from one of the manufacturers I have listed above, then you should get a package deal at a decent price. Add $500.00 to $700.00 for a D-D A/V Receiver and you should either be well within budget or maybe just about $200.00 over budget. But remember one thing though, when you are auditioning speakers, take along music CD's instead of movie DVD's with you to your audition. Because my reasoning is this, if the speakers can reproduce music very well, it will also do well with movies. Good luck. I hope I was helpful. --Charles--
Jeff- The Japanese HT lights and gadgets thing is definately happening. My Yamaha has approx. 10x more switches than my entire 2 channel system put together. Manual is virtually incomprehensible and the remote is another story altogether. If I had to do it again I probably would get the NAD, but there are plenty of used or gray market Yamies on ebay. With your room size, the NHT 8" sub probably wouldn't cut. I'm curious about the "cards". I just had a dish installed and there is a card in the back, don't know exactly what it does. Any decent receiver will have s video switching, so you don't have to worry about the inputs on your tv. Put your $ into the center channel speaker and good interconnects/cables.