Are subwoofers worth the trouble?

im thinking of buying a ReL strata II for my audio system but I could just see myself constanting tinkering with the controls. Do you find yorself doing this or have you found that once you haveit dialed in its done? Thanks Emil
emil
YES. It seems that with each cd or dvd you have to screw with it in a different way. A must have for movies though. But get a good one the cheap ones are worthless you'll be more frustrated than happy. Overall they don't really blend well with music but they can be very rewarding if you spend the bucks and choose right. They just don't satisfy me much for music as far as blending but I love the effect and power and it's hard to live without one. I recommend spending at least $2000. Or don't bother at all. But if your using very small speakers because of space issues than it's the way to go. Just try one for a couple of weeks then stop using it. If you find yourself longing for it than keep it. It sucks but sometimes trial and error is the best learning tool. Subs also sound very different from house to house and room to room and even corner to corner. they can be very finiky. Also keep the interconect short. If you can buy one with an outboard amp for long runs ( much better to run long speaker wire than a long interconnect). What matters is what you like and you really have to get one home to know.
It is hard to get compatible speakers and SUB! Small minimonitors satelites to a good Sub, is just matter of chance. Your best bet, is to get yourself a speakers that will accomodate your music preference, and your room acoustics. That's what you should spend your money for!
I've had little trouble dialing mine in, and leaving it alone. If your room is properly treated, the end result is very rewarding.