Spectral Amp

I am think about purchasing Spectral Amplifier. My concern is that I have Mark Levinson No. 39 CD Processor, which can directly drive the amplifier. I currently drive my amp with ML No. 39 (CD is my only source). However, the dealer has suggested that Spectral Amp has to be mated with Spectral Pre-Amp or else the amp will blow up. Any thought or suggestion on that. One more thing, if ML 39 cannot drive Spectral, can Wadia CD Player drive Spectral Amp?
sangsermbf49
Spectral recommends MIT cables for their equipment. While some people have used other mfg cables, this is an area of concern you should consider before purchasing Spectral. I also find their equipment a little dry and not musical to my ears (my opinion). I suggest you go listen but ask about the cables.
I heard the spectral amp/preamp driven by the Wadia CD player at a dealer when I was listining to Revels. I asked if the CD could drive the amps directly and was told they tried it and that the music sounded lifeless. This matches my own experience in my system driving poweramps directly from DAC's that from the spec's should have no problem with the amps. More detail but less musicality. I also find Spectral dry.
SANGSERM: Consider Krell FPB of a used KAS before you buy a Spectral amp. JUST BECAUSE Spectral amps can only be driven well by their respective preamps doesn't mean that MOST OTHER power amps can't be driven by a CD player. LOOK DUDES, I have a Resolution Audio CD50 (it's at least as good as your Levinson 39, maybe better). I'VE LOOKED INSIDE IT, AND I GURANTEE THAT IT'S BIPOLAR OUTPUT TRANSISTORS ARE BIGGER AND "BEEFIER" THAN ALL OF THESE KNOWNOTHINGS THAT ARE SAYING THAT THEIR PREAMPS CAN "DRIVE" A POWER AMP BETTER. Spectral is an exception...I use some of the best MIT interconnects to drive my KRELL amp directly from the CD player, AND MY SYSTEM IS SUPREMELY DYNAMIC AND HI-REZ...to the point of blowing away anybody who listens to it! JUST COME BY AND HEAR FOR YOURSELF! I know what I'm doing, here. Do you? Mine'll run with the best of them.
Carl I think it is fairly dependent on the DAC-Poweramp combo. As in the pair of our posts on the topic of passive preamps... How much difference you hear will depend on the specific combo.
...i had pleasure of listening "spectral" at the "golden nugget" hotel, during 97 CES. I cannot remember what model, but i believe it was that year, "spectral's" latest "stuff". Spectral was driving i remember "avalon osiris??" 60k pair of speakers. Anyway, the sound was...as good as it can be. So what i try to say is, mixing and maching is just game of pure chance. You might get better sound, but most likely you wont...so stay with ALL Spectral (if you can afford)