XLR vs RCA

Hello! My name's Cody; I work for TARA Labs. Not here to promote anything, this is just a disclaimer.

It seems that the majority of termination requests we receive at TARA Labs are for balanced (XLR) lines. Personally, I use unbalanced (RCA) interconnects with my Cary system setup, which seems to work quite well. I would be interested in hearing other opinions regarding XLR vs RCA?

(Please note that I have posted this on a few forums. I am not spamming, but rather would like to hear a wider range of opinions. I will make an effort to respond to all appropriate posts.)
codytara
Codytara, Given all the different personalities, each with their own individual systems and the many variables, I don't see how you're going to collect any kind of meaningful data here. These days balanced and pseudo balanced electronics seem to be in vogue, not my taste but that's the market. Personally I don't like nor buy into the balanced argument and find SE designs much more musical an natural sounding; but has no effect on your market.

david

Disclaimer- Dealer
Zd,
I believe the positive and negative bring in twice the voltage compared to the RCA?
"12-26-14: Sonic_genius
Milpai: 6 dB voltage gain for balanced compared to RCA."

He's right. Its a difference of 6db, not double. The way you worded your other post, you made it sound like using a passive preamp with non balanced gear wouldn't work because there isn't enough gain. Its possible that you may run into that problem given the equipment you have, but its not the norm. In most cases, SE equipment will work fine with a passive.
A voltage difference of 6 db (or to be more precise 6.02 db) = a voltage difference of a factor of 2 = "double" (assuming impedance remains the same).

A balanced interface will usually/more often than not provide 6 db more gain than an unbalanced interface (everything else being the same), but not always. It depends on the particular designs.

I concur with the rest of ZD's post.

Regards,
-- Al