Directional speaker cables - switching direction

Some time ago I started a thread regarding speaker wire directionality and my inability to understand how it could have any affect on sound quality. The question was inspired by the fact that, after quite a few years using them with my Martin Logan Odysseys, I discovered that the cables (Straightwire Octave 2) had arrows printed on them. Not surprisingly the opinions expressed were pretty strong on both sides of the argument but those supporting directionality were the most vociferous and in greater numbers, one to the point of being downright insulting. In no case, though, was an explanation given by those supporting the importance of cable direction for how this phenomenon occurs except that it should be obvious that when a cable is broken in in one direction only someone with an uneducated ear would be unable to discern the difference.

Even though I still don't get it I'm not taking the position that there is no validity to the directional claim; if there truly is I just don't understand how. This leads me to my two part question. I haven't been using the Octaves for a few years but now, because of cable length issues, I want to put them back in my system partly to avoid the cost of new quality cables.

IF, then, the directionality theory IS valid and I don't recall which way the arrows originally pointed or which direction they were "broken in" do those in support of directionality think I should install them with the arrows pointing toward the speakers
128x128broadstone
Is it really true that wives hear better than their better halves? Or is that an old wives tale?

;-)
Hi Geoffkait, my wife has proven many times that she does hear better than me, her ears are more sensative to high frequencys, during most auditions of any new equipment, doing a/b testing, just when I thought my decision was done, I would go back to what she said in the very beginning of the testing, as it turns out, the one she picked is the winner, and then I'm like Damn, she is always right!, last time I checked my hearing at the doctor's, there was nothing wrong, yes, I can go with women hear better than men, absolutely.
It really depends on the individual, hard and fast rules about gender and hearing acuity are not truly "hard and fast". For instance, no female in my family or any girlfriend I have had can hear with the acuity that I can....and I'm male. I've met nobody who has been so annoyed by TV or fluorescent light squeal as I have, to the point of having to leave some stores.

But I have to say in blind tests I have not been able to tell which direction cables are hooked up when I have someone else do the switching (or non-switching).

Audiophiles should read about placebo effect, expectation bias, but of course most audiophiles will be the first to reject such notions, proven as they are.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Experimenter%27s_bias

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Placebo

http://www.psychologicalscience.org/index.php/news/releases/the-power-of-suggestion-what-we-expect-influences-our-behavior-for-better-or-worse.html

In many ways, this belief always reminded me of audio:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dowsing

Keep in mind that this is coming from an audio guy who has been in it for his entire life since 12 years old and who owns a warehouse full of audio gear including hundreds of sets of high end cables. In other words, I'm a big believer in small differences making a big difference. But I've also watched many folks fool themselves and make the wrong pick time and time again, when they swore in advance that they could identify something, when I am the one to make the changes (or not) in what they are listening to.

just make sure it should and will sound different and it will. if you do contrary, it won't.
there certainly things that will sound different believe it or not as well.
just make sure it should and will sound different and it will. if you do contrary, it won't.
there certainly things that will sound different believe it or not as well.
12-09-14: Czarivey
Ain't that the truth!

To think of all the money I wasted about 8 years ago buying several pairs of NOS early 1960s white label Amperex PQ 6922 and 7308 tubes. Not to mention Siemens early 1960s all grey plate CCa and E188CC tubes. It was all in my head the differences that I heard from the stock 6922 Sovtek tubes that came with the preamp. Funny thing though, I still remember the preamp sounding like a solid state preamp with the stock Sovtek tubes installed.

Measurable test results showing the differences in perceived sound of vintage 1960s 6922/E88CC, and 7308/E188CC Amperex, Siemens, and Telefunken tubes vs. current production EH or Sovtek tubes? Well....