Question About NORDOST cables

I got a pair of Red Dawn II speaker cables. I was really impressed by these cable; the speed, dynamics, vocals - it's transformed the sound of my system. unfortunately not all is good; the bass suffered from a major roll off, and to make matter worse it's also lost its definition. really bad.

if it wasn't for the bass I'd hit the jack pot with these cables. I really like what's done to the system. in fact, I just got a pair of Heimdall's IC's. there's a general improvement, and the bass has also improved a little, but I feel like there's some kind of imbalance between vocals and other instruments.

the Red Dawn has to go. that's clear.

what I'm not sure of is whether I should stay with Nordost, and upgrade to the Heimdall's speaker cables, or move to something else. I'd really like to get the Siltech 330L, but is out of my budget atm. I can get the Heimdall now, or wait until have enough funds for the 330L's.

I really could with some other opinions/thoughts on the matter.
many thanks,

Massimo

speakers: Paradigm S1v3(P-Be)
youngatheart
I am using the Heimdall speaker cable with some degree of success in my system. I think the Heimdall is at a sweetspot in the Nordost range (entry monofilament). They can be further enhanced with the use of Nordost jumper cables at the speaker end.
I don't know your system, but just my experience. My system is budget high end. I really was impressed with the Heimdall IC's (have two pair now). I thought they were fast, clean, and on the slightly warm and sweet side sonically. Complimentary to my system. I thought the same as you and splurged for the Heimdall speaker cables. I ran them for several weeks, but my system was consistently much less listenable. Probably exposed my budget components too much, but I had to pull them out. Worked a downgrade to the Blue Heavens and was much happier with the result.
I had this same result with another popular high resolution speaker cable so its not unique to Nordost. My point is to audition or have a money back guarantee if it doesn't work in your system.
Try a pair of Clear Day Shotguns. I am using them now for the mid-bass in my system. They are every bit as good as the Nordost Valkyrja I use on the upper frequency drivers but not quite as extended. That's why the Clear Days run the low end and the nordost runs the high end.
Nordost has announced the Series 2 for the Norse lineup. With that there are plenty of bargains with the originals from authorized dealers. Musicdirect has some brand new ones for 1/2 price.

I personally think you will be quite impressed with the Heimdall speaker cable. I had a demo case about a year ago and for the money Blue haven and Red dawns were not bad but like you noticed lacked the good clean bass and I found both to be bright (not harsh). Baldur was a little better in both the bass and highs but still not great. The Heimdall's and Frey's were a lot better (more 'air' between the instruments and vocals). I had to 'squint' to hear the difference between those 2. Regardless I went for the Frey's and still have them. My local dealer hasn't loaned me a demo case for the new series 2 yet. They are supposed to be a lot better (pricier too). I've also heard Nordost will not offer bi-wire configurations with the new series 2.
thanks guys for the replies - interesting info

about my comment on hearing some kind of imbalance... after I made the comment out of curiosity I checked the wires signal direction, and somehow I plugged one of the IC in the wrong way, so that's probably why I was ailing for balance.

before the Heimdall's I was using Blue Heaven's. in my system the Heimdall's are a HUGE step up from the BH's; I was really ailing for the bass loss from the Red Dawn's, and the Heimdall's have somewhat cured that!

I'm really enjoying the sound much more. the bass is better defined and extended again, and everything is more musical, balanced - better presented.

the Heimdall's IC's are here to stay for sure. I can live with this sound as it is, but I must, must replace the Red Dawn's; it was good for a taste of Nordost's, but that's about it. the bass suffers from a serious roll off, and loss of definition... must go.

now I've to decide whether to go with bi-wire or shotgun...heh