does power cord length matter? fact or myth?

I have read somewhere in a forum that power cords need to be over a meter. I can't remember the reason and I am not sure it was correct anyway. Is this fact or myth? I have a 2 meter power cable that could be used in less than a meter and more than a meter with my system. Will this hurt the performance of the cable if cut in smaller pieces? Maybe brand specific? The cable is a Oyaide Tunami GPX
frano
Mapleshade actually says 8 feet is optimum, not minimum for speaker cables.
Mapleshade actually says 8 feet is optimum, not minimum for speaker cables.
I am curious as to what they believe is the difference between the 8 feet outside the speaker and the 2 to 3 feet long lead wire from the binding posts to the drivers?
Shunyata offered a somewhat technical explanation, I believe Mapleshade based their conclusion on listening tests.
I don't think so at all. I have had different lengths to my conditioner and to my equipment..no difference.
Not to mention the length of the power wires from your outlet(s) to the junction box then out to the power lines and so on and so on.

Now maybe... if you had a 2 foot cable compared to a 30 foot power chord, you could maybe hear a difference - better or worse who knows.