Using iPod Classic as music server

I finally decided to organize my music on a "server" using an iPod Classic that I got as a hand-me-down from one of my grandsons. In order to replicate music as accurately as possible I'm ripping CDs using Apples lossless CODEC. My understanding of these formats like FLAC and ALAC is that accuracy of replication is 100% and I'm finding that playback using earphones or good buds at least, seems that that is so.

However, when playing through my system, although good, playback using the iPod is not the same as when the source is the CD player. The information seems complete and obviously better than compressed versions I've heard but resolution and detail in the upper frequencies seems to have been softened.

My ability to compare these two sources is straightforward because I can have the same track playing on both sources and A/B using the source selector on the preamp. Now il get to my question.

First I need to say that the present system performs extremely well for my listening tastes so I'm not questioning the existing components. However, there are at least the 2 new issues of concern; one is the quality of the CD transport in the computer and the other is the quality of the iPod playback. I don't mean to imply that the playback from the iPod is terrible. As a matter of fact, it sounds quite good but a little softer/warmer than I prefer for critical listening.

There must be a reason why dedicated music servers are expensive and I'm assuming it has to do with reproduction quality as with other components in a system. I've never seen one so don't even know the process(es) for downloading music to them but, for several reasons, I want to pursue the use of a digital server of some kind. I'm, therefore, asking for corrections of my assumptions as well as some guidance toward making an intelligent choice.

My present system is: Shanling S-100 CD player, Peachtree Audio Nova as a preamp, Peachtree Audio 220 amp and Martin Logan Odyssey speakers.
128x128broadstone
I appreciate the input and if I understand the full meaning, it looks like the only way to experience CD quality sound is to use a CD. That being the case, I'll suspend further experimentation and replace my 60GB iPod with a model that will work with the Pure i20; I'll still use that or the Apple TV for background listening.
On e you have an iPod that will work with your dock you should be very close to CD capability. If you had a CD player that also had a digital input you would, in theory, be using the same DAC with different transports. I don't know how much difference there would be between your lossless iPod files and Redbook CD, but it should be negligible for anyone willing to use an iPod in the first place (not intending any judgement with this statement just suggesting that using an iPod is likely an indicator that your gear isn't likely the elite extreme high end). I don't know if I could tell a difference in my system or not.

I have heard computer audio that I preferred to the $30k Clear Audio turntable that had been playing seconds earlier and I have also preferred a similar turntable over CD in a direct A to B comparison. Bottom line is that CD, computer audio, and vinyl can all be great!
Thanks, Mceljo. To explain this situation more in detail, because the digital inputs on my preamp are already populated, my connection is through a California Audio Labs Alpha DAC. I'm not really complaining about the sound that I heard using this setup with another iPod; it's just not as good as the CD player. I was simply not enough educated on the subject not to expect that it would.

I use Pandora with this setup also and the sound seems even less acceptable, but in both cases their use is so convenient that I'm willing use them for the bulk of my listening. It's not perfect but is pretty acceptable if I'm not actively scrutinizing detail.

I've recently started using the Apple TV generation one mostly for listening to all music that I've downloaded (?) to its hard drive. This is by far the most straightforward way that I've found so far to organize and play music. Once again, though, the quality seems lacking in the same way as with the ipod choices.

The bottom line is that I'm very happy with these technologies and will continue using them without complaint.
I am continually impressed with the sound quality of Pandora. It is not equal to my CD player, but sounds great for background music considering that it is a compressed format. I suspect my receiver is doing a great job with it.