HDMI cables are all the same?

Apparently....

http://news.cnet.com/why-all-hdmi-cables-are-the-same/8301-17938_105-20056502-1.html
77jovian
There are also standards for SPDIF digital cables, and so what ? They all sound different.
i use hdmi cables between a transport and dac and i have heard differences. i am now using a harmonic tech copper . i compared cardas, audioquest, and signal cable.

the sound differed in each case.
The last three posts saved me a lot of typing. My point exactly.

By the way, the Monoprice HDMI is great for TV, it's what I switched to from Blue Jeans.

However, Mrtennis is using the interface in a completely different situation and I have no doubt that what he posted is true.
Standards can be met but the quality of assembly goes a long way as well.
I've seen photos of just how sloppy and bad the terminations are once they are exposed. The cables met the 'standard' but I wouldn't buy them now that I've seen what they look like. If you end up paying a little more for a better made cable, don't second guess it.

As for HDMI 1.3A..... I went with BJ cables initially. Tried some from other PC and PC accesories suppliers. Even liked the HDMI cables Verizon supplies.

Have not tried Monoprice... might now though.

Eventually, I went back to all Oppo HDMI cables... off sources.... Verizon feeds the Panny 50 in plasma from my Panny BDT210 Blu Ray Player, Oppo 980 and Motolrola HD FIOS STB.

All connect to my Onkyo Rec TXSR 805.

I still like my 26ft top grade Blue Jeans HDMI that feeds my projector. though it seldom ever gets used.

Wires aren't all alike. HDMI, however doesn't seem to be vastly dissimilar in performance. Albeit, there is always going to be this caveat.... "RESULTS WILL VARY".

i'VE NOT SEEN NOR HEARD DIFFS FROM $200 MONSTER BRAND HDMI, to Blue Jeans, or to Oppo's house brand. My preff? Oppo for short stuff. a heavier gauge for longer runs... hence the BJ for my 26ft HDMI.

I'm only able to really account for the audio side, and to that end,my statements here are accurate as to my exp. Visually? No other pr of eyes has yet to complain... only complement.

My Panny BR player allows for a change of the audio presentation from what one calls a typical unadorned sound to that of what they call, "tube sound" via a choice in the sub menu... while playing content you can toggle back and forth between them and sound fields.

The choice of 'Digital tube Audio' is the most modest of audible changes... yet you can't help buy notice how the presentation goes from OK to warm... about instantly. It sure helps out old films and poor sound tracks..... but via cheap Oppo HDMI cables... you'll hear it. Guaranteed.

Even streaming video from Netflix, VuDu, Youtube, Pandora, etc.. Oppo's little $10 wires work just great IMHO.

I've no clue on HDMI 1.4 (3-D). I'd suspect oppos cables and others will do just fine without anyone having to hock the ranch, or give up their first born or spend hundreds for one.

Good luck.