Cables – Speaker as well as interconnects – ugghh

I Recently acquired Conrad Johnson’s MV60SE, Premier 14 and their DV-2B CD player. My speakers are from Tannoy’s prestige series, namely the Sandringhams.

Now I need to connect the dots. I’ve been reading many discussion forums and online reviews regarding cabling and am simply worn out. So much out there and so many opinions! At this time I’m leaning toward Cardas Neutral Reference for runs to the Tannoys and perhaps for RCA IC’s as well.

The added challenge here is that I need to run 6 meters of cable each side to reach my speakers. No, unfortunately I can’t change the placement of my components (electronics on one side of the room as opposed to center). Yes, this adds a lot of $$$.

So, what about the Cardas Neutral line? What about something else in a lesser or comparable price range?

Thanks so much for ANY thoughts!
rbschauman
I also like Signal Cable and Paul Speltz Anticables and have both. Audioquest was always a good value too but maybe not as much as the first two. Nordost doesn't work for me. I get a harshness in the highs.
The Sandringham's have an 8 ohm nominal impedance, and also apparently have a benign impedance vs. frequency curve. That will reduce their sensitivity to cable differences, compared to speakers having lower nominal impedance and/or a more difficult impedance curve.

As I see it, Bryon's comment assumes particular significance because his speakers do NOT have a benign impedance curve, and also are close to 4 ohms in important parts of the spectrum.

Regards,
-- Al
I just went thru the same thing. I moved my amps to the side of the room, where before they had been between the speakers. I needed much longer cables, so I went with Signal Cables Ultra - a 22 ft one and a 14 ft one so that I wouldn't end up with a bunch of excess cable piled up on the floor for my right speaker.

You might want to consider the asymmetric length option, even if it means that if you resell, you'll probably have to sell them as singles.
Hi Lynne,

No, as far as I am aware all speakers will exhibit measurable capacitance at some frequencies. Speaker impedance becomes more benign to the extent that:

1)Nominal impedance is higher.
2)The impedance varies less as a function of frequency.
3)The impedance is more purely resistive, as opposed to capacitive or inductive (especially capacitive).
4)Frequencies at which the impedance is particularly capacitive do not coincide with frequencies where impedance magnitude is low.

All of these differences will affect the degree of difficulty that the speaker load presents to the amplifier. They can also be expected to affect sensitivity to cable differences, because they will affect the amount of current flowing through the cable; and because the significance of cable resistance will vary depending on how great a fraction of speaker impedance it is (at all frequencies); and because the significance of cable inductance will vary depending on how great a fraction of speaker impedance it is (at high frequencies).

Figure 1 of this Stereophile review shows the impedance curves of the Focal 1037be, which I suspect are generally similar to those of Bryon's 1027be.

The solid line, which is read against the scale at the left of the graph, shows impedance magnitude. As you can see, it fluctuates widely, and is much lower in the bass and lower mid-range than at higher frequencies.

The dotted line, which is read against the scale at the right, shows the "phase angle" of the impedance. A phase angle of 0 would mean that the impedance is purely resistive; positive phase angles represent an impedance that is partially inductive and partially resistive (with +90 degrees representing pure inductance); negative phase angles represent an impedance that is partially capacitive and partially resistive (with -90 degrees representing pure capacitance).

Phase angles in the area of -40 or -50 degrees or more, in combination with low impedance magnitude, are particularly a cause for concern. As John Atkinson notes in the text above the figure, that occurs with this speaker in the vicinity of 30Hz.

Best regards,
-- Al