Contact Enhancer Deterioration

I had been impressed with the initial application of both Walker Audio and Quicksilver contact enhancer products. There is an immediate increase in clarity, extension, and dynamics. The effect was not subtle.

However, I am now convined that over the ensuing weeks to months, the enhancer becomes detrimental. It happens gradually, so it is not obvious. The sound becomes soft, diffuse, veiled. Removing the enhancer with some alcohol has brought things back into focus.

One last experiment was whether this detriment was just due to loose connections or tight connections. For example, it has been postulated that these enhancing material form a bonded and continuous surface. Power cable connections, while they seem to be quite stable, are always moing due to vibration and expansion of metals. This will create cracks in any polymerized material. However, items such as fuses and speaker cable spades tend to be more stable due to the connector pressure and location. Would these surfaces also benefit from removing the enhancer? The answer is yes.

For those of you who are using contact enhancers, I urge you to remove this and listen to your system again. Feel free to report your findings. If anyone has any other experiences, that would be good to hear. If someone feels that there is a particular place that benefits from a contact enhancer long-term, I'd be interested. It seems that the conservative thing to do is to clean your contacts, particularly if they are prone to oxidation.
rtn1
Stabilant 22 is the best. IMO far better than Caig products, which in my experience have left discoloured residue and muckiness that had to be cleaned up over time.

Be warned though, Stabilant 22 comes in various ways. The best is the pure concentrate, which is a small 15ml bottle that costs near $90. The other types are diluted with ethanol and various alcohols.

I would avoid the diluted types and only use the pure concentrate.
I will be receiving samples of Stabilant 22 to review very soon.  Great stuff, from what I hear!