NOS Western Electric wire used for power cables??

I see that some people are starting to use this wire for speaker cables and ac power cables. Is anyone here using this wire? How does it compare to the cables on the market today? THANK YOU
hifisoundguy
I personally don't like listening to an audio system unless there's at least a slight chance it'll burst into flames at some point during the listening session.

The Extension cord was a standard home depot-style extension cord of large gauge size. It just couldn't take the light's current draw. Bare in mind the lights we use are 3k to 10k lights, which draw a constant 10,000 watts... so they're not quite the common 40w household light bulb. But let's be serious... if bricks can catch on fire, then if ANY power cord gets hot enough, regardless of the UL rating it will catch fire. The Extension cord got quite hot to the touch, but it didn't catch fire. It blew the circuit first. And to repeat... we're talking a much higher current draw than any piece of audio/video equipment.

I second Sherod's comment, I NEVER see any high-end cables with UL ratings. Nor is it a common occurrence that cables catch fire or I guarantee there'd be some threads about it.

Mintzar

I personally don't like listening to an audio system unless there's at least a slight chance it'll burst into flames at some point during the listening session.

HA!

Sort of reminds me of a quote from Nelson pass, regarding demoing gear at a show.

"If it doesn't work, hope it catches on fire." ;)

I second Sherod's comment, I NEVER see any high-end cables with UL ratings. Nor is it a common occurrence that cables catch fire or I guarantee there'd be some threads about it.

I suppose you've never heard the phrase "Dead men tell no tales"? ;)
Anything is possible (just not probable).

Yes, you could have some sort of a low resistance that MAY not trip the breaker and MAY heat up.

You could also get struck by lightning while being stung to death by bees and being hit by piece of space junk that fell off the Russian space station.

To confirm what was already stated: the specific NOS wire I use is MIL SPEC and has cloth covered rubber insulation.

This wire is SIGNIFICANTLY more abrasion and heat resistant than ANY "for domestic use" UL listed cord you could find.

It was ENGINEERED by Western Electric as POWER CORD for ULTIMATE durability and performance. It has been used in the most EXTREME of conditions, such as deserts, Arctic, and aerospace applications

I have some of this wire that's been in use for over 10 years and it shows NO SIGN of fatigue, cracking, or wear.

I have sold HUNDREDS of these cords and NOT ONE has failed in use to date.

They are HAND MADE in USA by either myself or one of my new employees. My employees are all students that are getting their degrees in electronics and I pay them $20/hour to start. No minimum wage slackers work for me (though I do live with 4 fairly lazy cats).

The cords go through SEVERAL inspections and tests along the way including a RESISTANCE TEST after they are assembled.

Personally, I would rather put my faith in a American with technical expertise that is earning a fair wage for their time than some uneducated 3rd world person that is cranking out UL listed products in some sweat shop for less than $10/day.

I would also be most fearful of ANY mass marketed "bargain priced" appliance that is UL listed. What that listing means is that is passed the MINIMUM requirements.

Most of what this UL listing stuff is about has more to do with product liability than with performance. If for some reason their is a product failure that leads to a law suit the company could state that they "did everything possible" and are therefore not negligent.

Let's settle this once and for all:

I challenge anyone to find some way to cause one of my power cords to burst into flame.

If anyone can find some way to make one of my power cords burst into flame while plugged into an outlet that is up to code with a proper circuit breaker I will give them $1,000.

Anybody up for the challenge?