Is Speaker Termination Required?

Had a very interesting conversation with an engineer at work today and I need you guys to clarify something for me. This �Senior Electrical Engineer� told me that he has never terminated his speaker cable to his amp or loudspeakers he uses bare wire connection, he told me this elaborate reason why, but the end result was �it�s the best connection possible�

He is using an older McIntosh and Ohm speakers and has had them connected since the 80�s and the connection is as good as gold he told me.

Is there any truth to he train of thought?

Thanks

Kev
128x128thegoldenear
I have often used unterminated in the past and still think it is theoretically better but all the cables I have used for years have come terminated and most would not work well without it for practical reasons. I have found the binding posts are probably a bigger problem. I replaced the stock ones on my Spendor S 100s with $3 all metal ones from Madisound and got a significant improvement. Whether this was mainly due to the better material or much better grip and contact I don't know. I noticed the same effect when I replaced the stock plastic knob terminals on one pair of my Meridian 605s with Michell metaL ones.
I agree with Stanwal. The binding posts tend to be a bigger problem . Lots feel bare wire is best and for the reasons mentioned are probably rite. Elizabeth is correct in the application of it and the ooops that can happen. Cheers.
That is one less connection for each wire.Terminals with a good secure connection should be fine too.The secure termination is what is important for me in my experience.
isn't this really about the sound or is it about what's easy
Indeed, but if you short the amp, there's no sound at all!
Better safe than sorry, is what people are saying...:))