HDtracks Music Libary Software For Macs

For casual listening I am currently using iTunes (on an iMac) and a WiFi Squeezebox Duet feeding, via analog output from the Squeezebox, a Pioneer Elite receiver. I want to upgrade the system to HD audio via adding a Squeezebox Touch. I know that iTunes will not handle HD audio files (anything above 16/44) and need alternative software to handle the music library. HDTracks recommend; Amara, Pure Music or Decibel software for Mac. Which one do you use and why?

Marcus
mgattmch
iTunes absolutely handles high res playback. It is the DAC and the interface to the DAC that limit how high resolution you can play.

If you are talking about FLAC files downloaded from HDtracks, that is true, iTunes doesn't play FLAC. But you can convert FLAC to AIFF or to Apple Lossless and iTunes can play them without problem.

Having said that, many third party players do sound better than iTunes. I have tried Amara and have used Pure Music for a few years. My current favor is the Audirvana Plus because it sounds best to me and its iTunes integration is the most reliable.
Recently I became a new and happy user of Amarra. It comes with a brilliantly executed EQ function with many pre-set functions to use for different occassions or for room correction. For example, I use the bass boost when I want to have freinds over and listen to rock or modern music. Otherwise I am experimenting with the other pre-sets right now with the plan to do sound measurements in my listening room. That's when I hope to dial in the right EQ setting to get the best sound. Oh, and it integrates with iTunes very well. JMTC.