music server setup questions

I am going to get a computer and rip all my CDs lossless and use the computer as the transport. I've no idea how to approach this. My dac is old - Theta ProBasic IIIA. I can get a computer with a digital output that plugs into that, or I could get a USB dac and replace my old Theta. Any thoughts on that? Also, any reason to go PC vs mac, and what software will I need/use (this computer will mainly be for music but I will also do basic web browsing and word processing, nothing fancy)? Haven't been on forums in many years. Rest of system is Simaudio P5 pre, dreadnaught II amp, snell xa90ps speakers. Thanks in advance. -Dave
dbw1
You're components are very good, but also very revealing. Because of this, you may want to consider entering at a higher level than an absolute beginner. Otherwise, you run the risk hearing all the shortcomings in your PC front end that your amp, preamp and speakers are capable of revealing.

As far as Mac or PC, people seem to be getting very good results with both, providing you set it up properly. I think the safest way to go, in your case, would be to go from a digital out on your PC to your current DAC. It won't cost anything and you can use it for a reference. Even if you hold off on buying more expensive gear, your system is definitely revealing enough where you can experiment with different file formats and media players. You can get started ripping with a free program called EAC. (Just make sure you download one of the setup guides because EAC has so many features, you'll definitely need the help for best results.) Once you get is set up properly, its easy to use.

Once you have a chance to play around with all the different aspects of computer audio, you'll be in a much better position to pick components that best suit you. Its not plug and play like a CD player. There is a learning curve so it may be a bad idea to start buying expensive items right away.
Thanks for the responses so far. I actually have a logitech squeezebox I got a couple years ago with the intent to set up a system but never did. I got it because the computer with the music stored was going to be far away from the rest of the system. That is no longer the case as I can put the computer in the rack. Should I still be using an intermediary device like the squeezebox and pull the content off the network, or is it better to plug the computer right into the system?
Connect Squeezebox to Wifi Network. Rip to computer using program of choice.. Run Logitech MEdia server on the computer and point it to your music files.

Connect SB to DAC using spdif coax or toslink. Make sure network connection is fairly strong, 80% or better if possible, to avoid delays/rebuffering.

That should be a fairly optimal setup right from the start. Sound quality should be similar to or better than with a CD transport similar digital connection to DAC.
I'm sure I'm being thick here, but Mapman why have the squeezebox and the network in between the computer and the dac when I can just connect the computer directly to the dac? Is there some advantage to doing that? Thanks. -Dave