storage area which shows darkened, discolored wire. Is
it still useful? Mobility, relocating, moving, bending,
manipulating, as well as aging must have negative
consequences on any cable. Should we consider this in
our purchase of "used" cable thinking we are getting a
good deal?
bgordon829
Post removed 
As Elisabeth said, generally there is no problem with used cables. I'd say that they're generally preferable, since they'll be burned-in and operating at peak effectiveness by the time you put them in the system. (Many new cables need 100-300 hours to start sounding as good as designed).

Occasionally there's a "bad batch" or bad design (like the original Monsters that corroded way up under the covering. They need to be kept dry, but problems are generally visible at or around the terminations. If there's a little corrosion right at the termination this could lead you to a great bargain, where you buy the cable dirt cheap, chop off a few inches and re-terminate. (That's a great way to buy hyperexpensive cables if you can find any flawed like that).

The thing to avoid is cables that have been in a poorly sealed basement and actually have serious corrosion. This is pretty darned rare and can be avoid generally by sticking to highly rated sellers.

Still, bottom-line is that used cables are generally and excellent deal and highly recommended.

Dave
Living just north of the Golden Gate Bridge for an extreme example of cables. The cables on the bridge are constantly being painted due to the salt air, aside from that they are the same ones up there since 1937. Audio cables are not much different, as long as their sheilding and ends are kept protected whats inside should stay as good as new.
Used cables are good I have had some cheaper cables like monster and other discolor and the rubber jacket change for the worse or the little rubber bands around the connectors dry rot and fall off. But all my real cables like kimber, audioquest etc look as of they where new 10 year later.
Uru975, so what gauge are the G.G.B. cables? Can I get a pair of 1 meter cables cut from them :-)