Kubala Sosna and Virtual Dynamics - Similar??

I have gone through the Forums and checked on the comments and write-ups on both brands. Both are rated highly, especially for the KS Emotion and VD Master and Revelation ranges.....

I would like to know how similar these cables are in terms of sonics for Speaker cables and Power cords...

It seems that VD is hugely popular at the moment and KS is used by a select few....

Where I am, there is no dealer available, therefore I have to rely on your comments and suggestions...KS doesnt allow international trials and have not checked with VD..

Similar Products used:
Kimber BiFocal XL
DIY PC's with Furutech Gold IEC's
Running dedicated 32 amp lines

TIA!!
teck5
Thanks for the support...

One thing to note and put on record...this thread started out to find opinions between the two brands but I ended up testing the VD cables only....

Unfortunately, I was not able to test any KS cables in my system....so sometime down the road when this is available, will do so.

JaFox - thanks for the comments...I like the Stealth Dream and my comments "as a reference" is for myself listening to what a top notch cable can do...do not wish to let the others reading the thread think that I am so bold as to proclaim as "the new reference"...

Cenline - thanks for the comments as well and you PM's...

The interesting thing about this testing of Power chords is the ability to make sure that it works with the whole set up....no other way to do it except Patience, Patience and more Patience...

Thanks again
Hi,

I have only come across the VD and K/S cables at audio shows, generally speaking they tend to be present in very good systems there.

From what I heard, I think the VD cables are excellent (in Montreal this year, they were using the Genesis series cables throughout). Very good dynamics, musical, well controlled bass (they were using some isolation throughout the system), forward presentation, excellent resolution, big soundstage.

The best way to describe what I heard in the K/S room was a sound with no restriction/limit in the highs yet a complete lack of aggression/grain/glare here, perfect coherence throughout the spectrum, very well articulated bass, still musical, complete ease to the overall sound, effortless presentation although dynamics were not on par with the VD cabled system. I think the sense of space/ambiance was rendered better in the MBL/Tenor/Kharma/Kubala-Sosna system then in the Emm Labs/Luminance/(forget the speakers)/Virtual Dynamics system.

Both systems sounded very good. If I had a choice, I would take the Kubala cabled system. There was some real magic here without the attempt to impress, unlike the VD cabled system.

But these are just personal opinions.
Amperidian
one must remember that the VD cables aren't at the very best,unless the cables are able to relax for a week.Images tend to be diffuse and not as fleshed out as possible.I've just finished putting in the Genesis speaker cables and can honestly report that the dynamic ability and resolution of images is absolutely first rate.The finest attribute of the Genesis cable is how much information is passed with no sense of compression or strain ( the glare that you mentioned may have been an amplifier or speaker artifact, or both being overdriven).Genesis is a solid core cable that gives better dynamics through design ( multi strand designs seem to have more air but lack the body and dynamic ability of solid core designs because they introduce more phase and timing errors).I am glad that you enjoyed the genesis and can only say the my system needs another week to burn in before the Quicksilver forms a complete dialectric after cleaning and pasting all my connections.Genesis represents a new musical beginning with all my favourite music being played in a new musical light.
Thanks guys....I have been trying out the Jorma Design Power cords and their Interconnect....wow....they are good and provide a very balanced sound...

I tested the Super Power cord on my pre-amp and it is very good there, better than at my cd player...

I tried the Jorma Design No2 IC and it beat my AZ Silver Ref 2 hands down in terms of fleshing out the sound..I am waiting to test the No1 and the Prime...not cheap but wow..

still unable to test the KS as there is no agent here...so cannot compare.
Teck5, I've compared the Jorma Design No1 and K-S Emotion IC's between my DAC and preamp (see my system below). I kept the K-S. I found the Jorma IC to be faster, more resolute, more open in the highs and more coherent (this is an exceptional cable on this criterion) but colder, leaner and less involving than the K-S. In particular, timbres are more realistic with the K-S, voices are more human. I never tried the Jorma Prime (too expensive!), which might bring the touch of humanity that the No1 lacks.

I also found that having both K-S Emotion IC and speaker cables in my system leads to strong lack of openness in the highs, to such a point that timbres are partly denatured. I quite agree with Ozzy on this point. Having the IC only is O.K. though. The only persons I know who are quite happy with the full K-S cables are those using some ceramic speakers like the small Kharma’s in their system. In my experience, these ceramic speakers are rather dry and lean sounding. The K-S cables, with their harmonic richness and their ability to soften the highs, come up with the solution.

My system: drive: dCS Verdi/DAC: Zanden 5000 mk4/Nagra PL-L preamp and VPA monoblocs/speakers: Wilson Watt Puppy 7.