FM antennae recommendations please?

Hi everyone, I had a Terk FM-Pro and it wasn't quite right for my situation. I live in NYC on a low floor with my windows facing other buildings. I need an antennae that is very good with multi path problems. I have the Musical Fidelity A3 tuner, connected by an Harmonic Technology Pro-11 AC power cord plugged into the Monster HTS-3500 power conditioner with H. Tech. Truthlink Silver interconnects. I would appreciate any feedback and recommendations
bmpnyc
Hi Brian, thanks for the links, but for some reason I hit a dead end when I click on them. Thanks Swampwalker.
No offense taken Sd. Testimonials from first hand users should always be welcome, regardless of whether or not they are all in agreement. After all, that is how we learn here i.e. comparing notes, experience and drawing conclusions from such. I am basing my statements about the viability of this product based on its' design and the situation at hand, not on previous use or ownership. As such, you would know better than i if it is a plausible solution. Your offer to donate this piece to someone in need is MORE than generous.

With the previous "disclaimer" above, I will agree that the Beam Box is LESS sensitive than a wire dipole. Guaranteed. Then again, if you are VERY close to several transmitters, front end overload is a real problem to deal with. The lack of sensitivity / output level from the BIC can somewhat help this out. In fact, if i recall correctly, i think that the Beam Box was appr 12 db's down from an optimally oriented dipole. That is a LOT of signal loss, something that most people could not afford to give up and still retain usable signal levels.

Chances are that if you are experiencing big-time front end overload, you are in a major city with a LOT of tall buildings, reflections, etc... Given the Beam Box's four switchable orientations, you can somewhat fine tune it for optimum orientation for each station. At the same time, you may be "de-tuning" the stronger nearby signals that were causing the front end overload to begin with. This occurs due to the differences in polarization.

Besides that, the convenience of flipping a switch to change orientations / directivity of the antenna is hard to beat, especially in comparison to manually re-orienting a wire dipole each time you change stations. That is, so long as there is enough signal there to begin with. The Beam Box would also get rid of the wire dipole in that situation, which most folks consider to be pretty unsightly.

BMP seems to be in this situation, which is what the Beam Box "should" work best in. I do not know for sure though, as i have never lived in a situation like that nor used a Beam Box. I simply threw it into the "center ring" for discussion as i thought it MIGHT do what he was looking for. Like anything else, there are trade-offs involved. Whether or not those specific to the Beam Box are acceptable to BMPNYC, only he can say if and when he uses one. Sean
>
This thread is a bit stale but I thought I would toss in my two cents worth. Since multipath seems to be your main problem I don't think a vertical whip style antenna will do much to fix that problem. I could be wrong but it seems to me that you want a very directional antenna, i.e. a yagi or "beam" style antenna which you can "point" at one signal source while attenuating signals coming from other directions. A beam style antenna is most sensitive from the front, the least sensitive from the sides, and fairly insensitive from the rear. The "front-to-back" ratio is usually expressed in dB. The higher the better. I have a Fanfare vertical whip antenna which is almost identical to the Magnum whip antenna and it does a fine job but its in the open with no buildings nearby except for my house. I don't have much of a multipath issue to worry me here. Hopefully you've found a solution by now. Multipath is a tough thing to deal with.
Thanks for the advice Abe, I am still considering the options, as there have been other priorities in the way of my getting a new antennae.
I have a Magnum Dynalab Etude and live in NYC on the 6th floor. The Magnum dynalb people told me to just stick a wire in the back. It works pretty well. That was two years ago. Recently I called again as I wanted to see if I could make it better and they told me to try their silver ribbon. I did and I had trouble getting any reception so I went back to my wire.