Opinions on lower priced digital that can compete

With the high end or maybe even enter into the range of "giant killer", if such a thing exists. Has to be coax, looking for something that does not add any character of its own to the mix. Should not be either light or full in any part of the frequency range. Should not be extra zingy or slow. Shouldn't push the soundstage further forward or further back, yada yada yada.

In the "budget" range I've been getting info on

Stereovox XV2
Cardas Neutral Ref
Signal Silver Digital
Apogee Wyde-Eye
Zu Cable

Don't know if there are any others in this ballpark worth considering, and having the (non) characteristics I'm looking for.
tonyptony
In response to the "make your teeth hurt" comment...I run a DAC-1 with a Stereovox HDXV and have found it a great match. Kid, if your setup causes such discomfort I think there are some issues elsewhere in your system. The Stereovox is not a tone control, I have found it to be extremely neutral overall and the price is attractive.
A used Audiodyne Datalink is a great cable for minimal dollars. Otherwise the Pure Note Paragon is nice for around 175 bucks. These cables are not edgy like most digital cables, IME.
Tonyptony,

I found it to be a bit too 'dry', and the overall presentation to be 'smaller' and 'farther away', if that makes any sense. Of course, I could say the same about the Discovery digi-cable, to a lesser degree.
It has alot to do with what your digital gear sounds like as well. I've heard some 'reference' level digital cables that can make a transport sound like a mid-fi DVD player.
"12-15-06: Sbrtoy
In response to the "make your teeth hurt" comment...I run a DAC-1 with a Stereovox HDXV and have found it a great match. Kid, if your setup causes such discomfort I think there are some issues elsewhere in your system. The Stereovox is not a tone control, I have found it to be extremely neutral overall and the price is attractive."

Sbrtoy,

I did not mean to take a dig, I was just stating my opinion and experience as I heard the combination locally and it was unfornately very thin and analytical sounding. We switched sources to a YBA Blue Laser CDP and the sound improved dramatically. It was not in my system and no, there are no issues with my setup. LOL.

From what I have heard they updated the newer Benchmark DACs so maybe it is a better match with the Stereovox cable as you are experiencing. Again, it all boils down to system synergy and it sounds like you have it.

As far as using cables as tone controls, that is not the case for me. Digital cables do sound dramatically different and yes the goal is usually to find something uncolored and neutral. But again it all comes down to system synergy and what works.. The Stereovox stuff just does not do it for me and yes, I have tried it.

Cheers,

Chris