Home Depot Ext. Cord for Speaker Cable

I was wondering if anyone who has actually tried this themselves could comment on the results. I currently use 14g Monster wire with mostly McIntosh tube gear.

What might I expect to sound different?

Is it the "Rigid" brand that Home Depot sells that people use?

What do you do with the third wire?

Any other constructive feedback will be appreciated as well. Thanks,
Bill
bcollins
Steuspeed, have you heard them? When it costs less than 20 bucks to try them, why not? Paul Seydor in The Absolute Sound review found that they sounded every bit as good as the $400-500 cables he was testing at the time, and he was using a simple two-wire version.
I use them in my system and they sound wnderful - every bit as good as the high priced spread. I have and all Ayre system into Vandersteen 5A's
I agree with Steuspeed. You spent how much on your gear and you wish to fine tune it using HD wire?

I have used the HD wire, it is OK, not great. Give it a try though, as mentioned it is a cheap DIY project and is fun. If you don't have enough cash at the moment for better cables, this will hold you over. When you get ready to experiment with other cables, give the Cable Company a call and borrow cables to try from them.

Regards,
I made a set of cables using the "commercial electric" branded ext cord. I used the 12 guage (yellow jacket) cord due to the distances I was running, and clipped the green wire. I think it cost me $50 for the set (ie for a 100ft cord), plus bananas.

I would go this route over Monster cable any day, but I'm not sure I would replace existing cables with it. I needed a new set because the Monster cable I had didn't fit the confuration of my room.

That said, I was very satisfied with the sound quality - I think is was an improvement over the Monster cables (though this was not a controlled/scientific comparison), but clearly not as good as my PS Audio Statements, nor my Totem bi-wires.
I may try the HD wire just for the fun of it. However, what recommendations do you have for a reasonably priced speaker cable that would be a significant improvement over the HD wire? I know everyone probably has their favorite, but I'm curious if there is any consensus on quality lower priced cables. The upper price limit is about $200., preferable less. Thanks again,
Bill