Opinions on Walker High Definition Links

I think I have become a tweaker. I tried the Walker SST silver cream and was favorably impressed. I am now thinking about the Walker HDL's and would appreciate any observations you might have on this product. Current setup includes Audio Physic Virgo II speakers, Rogue M150 amps, Camelot Uther IV DAC/Preamp, Theta Basic II transport and Tara Labs air 1 interconnects and speaker cable. I have been researching component upgrades but have not found anything exciting that doesn't require a hugh capital outlay therefore I am looking at tweaks to optimize my current system.
Thanks
Steve
sgunther
I have just installed a 2nd hand pair of HDL Ultimate links and they clearly produced an improvement, particularly in the treble. I noticed the greatest improvement in imaging and soundstage, you seem to hear deeper into the recording. I am not sure how they work, but work they do in my system.
In the interest of full disclosure, let me first say that I'm a dealer for Walker Audio. Of course, I chose to take on his line because I believe in him and his work. He is so fanatical that you can virtually expect his stuff to be the best, most evolved, most tweeked out product in whatever arena he enters.

One significant thing I wanted to add to this thread is that the HDLs do not only effect the high frequencies. In my experience, as well as that of many others, they clean up the entire range. The bass gets tighter, the midrange more palpable and, of course, the highs smoother and more delicately revealing. The reason for this appears to be that the ultra sonic hash that is removed seems to interact adversely with the amplifier causing problems in the entire output. The HDLs can even dramatically improve subwoofer performance.

Also, re: the Furutech, Lloyd has just come out with a demagnetizer for LPS, CDs and DVDs called the Talisman which is purported to outperform the Furuech at much less money. Although I haven't personally compared it to the Furutech, I can definitely vouch for it's effectiveness, again cleaning up the entire range.
Just installed ref. HDL's on my Infinity RS1b's [needed two sets] and must say they are one of the most dramatic improvements in quite some time [up there with component upgrade!!] Overall sound quality improved [clearer, stage deeper,detail resolution VASTLY improved, Bass FAR MORE articulate and deeper with improved resolution] and Lloyd says they have not yet fully broken in. This is another of those pricey tweeks that REALLY IS WORTH IT!!! With the money back guarantee you can't go wrong [I'll bet you don't send them back!]
Just a thought, as mentioned before, I use the HDL's and find them very effective, but can someone answer why all the effective tweaks are so expensive? I mean its a tiny wooden box with a couple of wires out of it, how come it costs so much. It's the same with CD disc stabilisers, the only one I have found that works, is the most expensive Marigo stealth signature. Even 2nd hand, the way I buy most of my kit, they are still too expensive for what they are.
I just needed to get that off my chest, I feel better now. I will just take one of my Valium and I will be just fine.
David12,

There are a few issues that generally IME contribute to this situation.

First, usually the retail price has to bear a cut for distribution and retailers. Even when the product is sold direct, if the product is also sold through dealers then the price must accomodate this. Most sales are time consuming on the part of the salesman and require overhead for the context under which the sale is made. In this business the volume of sales is often small.

Second, we live in a culture that is inundated with products that are manufactured by the millions in countries where the hourly wage is often minus a zero or two from ours. The product(s) that we're talking about here are painstakingly hand made in quantities of 10 or so at a time.

In Lloyd's case he uses premium parts that are sometimes not generally available and are very expensive compared to the average commercial product. An example of this would be using nude Vishay S102 resistors at about $15 a piece give or take depending on the value as opposed to the usual "good" resisors that may cost 20 cents.

The R&D that goes into discovering what makes a valuable subjective difference and then refining that product to where it makes the most difference in its application is extremely time consuming. The only way those hours can begin to get paid for in the quantities we're talking about is by charging seeemingly high prices.

The other factor that can come into it is valuing the product in relation to other similar products and in relation to the value of the effect it has on the sound. Percieved value is often related to the price put on it. Often the premium models in a line are priced to try to make back some of the above expense whereas the cheaper models are priced more competitively.

Some companies underprice their products in order to be competitive and their businesses flounder in the end. Some manufacturers demand a more respectable living from their endeavors.

There is a fine line between fair and opportunism. That line is purely subjective.

Hopefully this will allow for a reduction in your meds.