isolation transformer vs line conditioner

I have a single pseudodedicated line ( line form fuse box at home only supply stereo equip. & lights of that room.)
I am considering a line conditioner like BPT3.5 or shunyata hydra at the outlet vs an isolation transformer interpose betw. the fuse box and the outlet in that room.
Which would provide most bang for bucks?
Where can i buy isolation transformer cheap? 5kv topaz is more than a grand.
WHich LC is better? shunyata or bpt?
128x128glai
LOL,

Wow Sean, you got called out here! If only 7b4me knew who he was trying to show up with one manufacturers sales propaganda. Mighty funny. I'm glad you caught this Sean, and I'm happy the thread is back, I forgot about this one.

Have a great Holiday Sean,

jd
I have a Runnings Springs Audio power conditioner that I have been very pleased with, but I have been very curious about iso transformers for my digital transport and DAC. I just bought a Topaz 500VA ultra isolation transformer and plan to use it for my transport an d DAC. Can anyone tell me the importance of capcitance in the iso transformer. This is something I'm still curious about.
JD: People can believe whatever and whomever they want to believe. All we can do here is share opinions and ideas while trying to learn from one another.

Having said that, most of the Bryston amps are not real strong performers into lower impedances. We have discussed this in the forums here before on more than one occassion.

As most know, these are SS amps with low output impedances and relatively robust output stages. As such, the only reason that this could be so would be due to the limited current capacity of the power supply. Since the power supply starts at the transformer, one should be able to draw logical conclusions as to what is going on here.

Clio09: The higher the capacitance of a power transformer, the more coupling there is between the primary side of the transformer and that of the secondary. As such, the greater the capacitance, the less isolation the transformer can offer. In such a case, a higher percentage of line noise is allowed to enter into the circuitry with a higher capacitance transformer as compared to a lower capacitance transformer.

As a general rule, toroids are typically much higher in capacitance than a well designed EI. This makes them less suitable for isolation purposes, as i previously stated. On the other hand, EI transformers are typically more lossy as frequency climbs, making them less suitable for wide bandwidth circuits. As such, a well designed tubed amp might make use of an EI in the power supply and toroidals as output transformers. This should achieve the best of both worlds i.e. lower noise floor with wider bandwidth / better transient response. Sean
>
sean,

what would you consider a high capacitance for a 1kva toroid?

your comments, as always, are interesting: i found that my old wavac SET, which employed EI-type trannys, was guilty of the rolled off frequency extremes, but glorious at the mids. my SS amps are far more linear, but never as "pure" in the mids or the highs.

rhyno
Sean, thanks for the information. The Topaz capacitance is listed at 0.005 pF with stated common mode noise rejection of 126db. I have seen some iso transformers capacitance listed at 0.0001 pF, which I take it is better based on your statement.