Well Tempered V's VPI Super Scout Master Sign

Hello all
I have a Well Tempered reference, from the 90's, "never used", what are your thoughts, on the VPI Super Scoutmaster Signature V's the above as I have a offer to swap? the reason is I'm getting sick of mucking around with the well Tempered, to get to sound right, breaking fishing line etc, I just want to set up and leave, and sit back and listen!!
128x128daveyonthecoast
I had an Amadeus, as well as a GTA. I decided to sell my second system, and sold my Amadeus. The GTA remains in my my main system. I won't waste time commenting on the experiences of others, so I will focus on my own. I have changed just 1 belt in many years. My speed according to my KAB is accurate, and it sounds excellent. Obviously, handling the belt should be done gently, and that's what I do. I admit it would be nice to have touch/button speed control, but I don't listen to many 45's so it's not a huge deal for me. The Amadeus is a great sounding table, I am not familiar with the REFERENCE, so I can't comment directly. That said, you do own it, so why not give it a go.
Davey, I bought one of the very first Super Scoutmasters when it came out, with the 9" JMW arm and acrylic platter.

I have since upgraded to Super Scoutmaster Reference with Rim Drive, 10" 3D arm, Classic platter with oil pumping inverted bearing, and Terracone footers. I have used the Super Platter which was better than the original acrylic, but the Classic platter blows the others away IMO. One of the great things about VPI and this particular table is the ability to upgrade tonearm, platter, drive system, footers, etc. "if you want to", or leave it the way it is. The original table is an excellent performer, reliable, great sound. If you decide to buy this table you should know that you are getting top quality performance for your money. VPI service has been excellent as well.
That Reference is a different generation from the newer Amadeus, Simplex, etc. That older generation was a little more hassle in terms of set-up and maintenance than the newer ones from what I can tell.
I owned a Well Tempered Classic for 15 years. For me, it was total set and forget. Only replaced a belt once in that time.

If a Well Tempered requires frequent maintenance, it's not set up correctly. Personally, I thought setup was idiot proof, but I guess not. Breaking the fishing line?? I can't imagine how anyone could do that. The user shouldn't ever touch the fishing line and should never exert the kind of force on the arm that would be required to break the line.
Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought the OP was referring to the belt, not the fishing line that suspends the arm. If he is indeed talking about the arm, then I agree with you. That should not be a concern.

Shakey