Koetsu Jade v SPU classic v FR 7 fz cartidges

Greetings to all !
I am hoping to get some advice concerning my analogue set up.
I use a Brinkmann La Grange turntable with a FR 66s tone arm.
I bought the FR 66 as a high mass "match" for my Koetsu Jade cartridge which has just been fully rebuilt by Koetsu with diamond cantilever.
The rest of the system is Allnic H 3000 phono stage , Allnic L 5000 line stage, Aklnic A 6000 monoblocks and Quad 2905 speakers / Audiophysic Rhea 2 subwoofers (pair).
I listen to a lot of choral classical music and for this the midrange needs to be really " organic" and free from any harshness or glassiness and , very importantly, the cartridge needs to track demanding loud and complex passages properly.
In this latter regard I am not 100% convinced by the Koetsu. It has been professionally installed in the FR 66 using proper alignment tools and is mounted in an Orsonic headshell. Yet to my ears it gets " nervous" in certain demanding passages of music .
I have tried increasing the VTF to 2.5 grams (the maximum recommended is apparently 2.2 gm ?) and this does seem to improve things but I assume that this will have som negative effects given it is some way over the " limit".
I just bought a " standard" SPU Classic (with spherical stylus) in the integrated headshell and, tracking this at 4 gm, I was instantly bowled over by the " organic" midrange in the type of music referred to above.
After a series of "A/B" comparisons with the Koetsu I am struggling to say I really prefer the Koetsu to listen to in my system , although it clearly has greater frequency extremes, transparency and detail than the basic SPU ( it costs over ten times as much !!)
I was wondering if anybody out there has had similar experiences with Koetsu stone bodied cartridges ?
I am now thinking of going for one of the FR 7 cartridges ( fz version) and again would welcome any comments on this and how it might compare to the Koetsu / SPU ?
With kind regards,
Howard
128x128howardalex
It doesn't much matter whether the Orsonic is a fake or real. The design indicates little appreciation for structural mechanics or the job of a proper headshell.

Whilst I have used many good headshells in the FR Series tonearms....there is a definite affinity with their own headshells particularly the S3 of which I have five...👅

The FR-7f is a fine cartridge.
It's limitation unfortunately is its conical stylus which sadly leaves some critical groove information undisclosed.
Change the stylus to a Line Contact however....and there are very few modern uber $ cartridges which can play on the same field....😎🎼
From Benz to Ortofon SPU ? I'm sure you're talking about elliptical or ortofon replicant SPU, not conical Classic SPU ... No? With a SUT? Just curious.

It makes me wonder when less detailed and darker presentation described as more "musical", but this is just my opinion about conical spu classic mk2.
I have tried the Orsonic 101, Ikeda, Audiotechnica Technihard, Audiocraft and the original FR headshell in my FR64S with a variety of cartridges including Koetsu, Dynavector Nova 13, Ikeda, FR1mk3, Victor X1 and many others.

With the Koetsu the Orsonic is my preferred choice - smoother and more transparent in the top end than any of the others. Only "downside" is a slightly fat bottom end, but the bottom end is tuneful (timing is not impaired). By comparison the Ikeda & Technihard headshells are more emphatic, tighter, but slightly less resolving. Optimum can be cartridge dependent.

The other suggestion I have for getting the best out of the FR arm is to use a combination of Static and Dynamic balancing for setting the tracking force. I set the VTF Knob to 0.5g and then adjust the counterweight to bring the tracking force up to the required level. This improves speed, resolution and soundstage of all cartridges I have used with the arm. In my experience using Dynamic Balancing ( the VTF Dial) for setting the total tracking force on the FR sucks all the life out of the cartridge.

Halcro,
Comparing the structural rigidity of the Orsonic to conventional headshells is nebulous really. One is a set of torsion bars, the other a flat plate. Both have resonances, just a different set.
As far as the FR S3 headshell goes, it is a symphony of resonance, topped off with a massive bolt and cartridge bedplate that induces electrical distortion in the cartridge. Even Boeing ensure that metal lumps next to sensitive electronics should be minimised - steel has magnetic interaction, aluminium induces hysteresis distortion.
Hi Syntax,
Thanks for the reply .
Yes the VTF dial does click when I change its settings...
I just ordered an FR 7 fz and it arrives next week - should be interesting !!
Best regards
Howard