Cartridge/arm matching

Hi. I have to admit I know next to nothing on this subject. I have a Rega RB 250 arm with a Shelter 501 mk 11 cartridge. There's been some suggestion that that may be a less than great match as it's a medium mass arm with a low compliance cartridge.

I'm on a very tight budget… don't really want to change the arm as I've rewired it with Cardas & bought an Expressimo Half Moon Heavyweigh counterweight (the latter made a massive positive difference). Would a Denon DL 103R be a better match for the arm?
houseofhits
**** The base rule of thumb for converting from 100Hz to 10Hz is to multiply by 1.5

Audiodistinction, i'm not a technician but are you sure that multiply by 2 is incorrect when converting @100Hz compliance to @10Hz compliance?

**** I have tried, many times, to get a DL-103 to work (aka sound good) mated with a medium compliance tonearm, always unsuccessfully.

I have the same feeling when i tried higher compliance cartridges on heavier tonearm designed for Denon DL103 family (Thosam Schich "12 Tonearm). But i can't find effective mass for Shick tonearm anywere, i wish to know.

***** DL-103 as having the lowest compliance and being the most stiff and unbendable of any other cartridge on the market.

Except Ortofon SPU probably: 8 µm/mN (10Hz)

For adding weight/mass to a tonearm, a model train store will sell you some little squares of lead you can put on the headshell (or even between it and the cartridge, to damp the cartridge body's vibrations somewhat).
Chakster,

Yes, I am sure that using a multiple of 1.5x is incorrect. But it provides a closer usable value for the DL-103 than a higher multiple. As I said in my previous post, there is no simple formula that can accurately convert cartridge compliance from 100Hz to 10Hz because there are several variables that need to be factored into the equation.

Yes, many of the Ortofon SPU cartridges share a compliance value of 8x10-6cm/dyne. The new SPU A95 is rated at 9, and the Mono GM cartridge is 12.