Skeletal vs Plinth style turntables

I am pondering a new plinth design and am considering the virtues of making a skeletal or closed plinth design. The motor unit is direct drive. I know that as a direct drive it inherently has very low vibration as opposed to an idler deck (please do not outcry Garrard and Lenco onwners coz I have one of those too) but simple facts are facts belt drive motors spin at 250rpm, Lencos around 1500 rpm, DD 33 or 45 rpm. That being the case that must surely be a factor in this issue. What are your thoughts. BTW I like closed designs as they prevent the gathering of dust.
parrotbee
I mentioned the mythical perfect TT earlier on this thread.
item 2) was " Perfect dynamic dimensional stability"

We have seen on another thread here how stylus drag can slow the platter. This even where massive platters and drive systems are employed.
This drag is pulling on the arm and hence its support. In the case of a nude TT, the pod is being exposed to this force. If this heavily modulated force is sufficient to slow a weighty platter of considerable inertia, would it not also be able to "tilt" a free standing pod even, if it is substantial?

Way back in high school we were tasked with this question..
What happens when you throw a snooker ball such that it hits the front of an oncoming train. The answer is that the train slows, and with relative weights and speeds, we were able to calculated how much.

Regards, Richardkrebs: Would stylus drag then be considered an irrestable force?

Just imagining the tensions these forces are exerting on tonearm bearings, the headshell couplings and the bearing wear. not to mention misalignment consequent to the rending of cantilevers as the stylus drags a seven pound pod around leaves me marveling at the complications overcome in the analog realm.

Or perhaps this might be a reductio ad absurdum (referring to my comments, of course)?

---Just an enthusiasts' mutterings amidst the opinions of experts.

Peace
Dear CT 0517

you say:
I used to say to myself ...hmmmm looks like a hole / space there. Wonder what would happen if I filled it ? When an audiophile based on theory alone, said don't do that, its not right because of xxxxxxx, but showed no real direct experience with it himself...... ..Hell..the more reason to go and do it.

This is a tad unfair given that you don't know what I do do, and what else I have built and fiddled with.

But FYI i have made a few Lenco plinths, and have also fiddled (that's what I call it) with a few belt drive decks to. In addition to this I have built quite a few speakers. In my experience when you keep mass loading you effectively just restribute the vibrations to a higher frequency often. The strangest/worst thing one can do is fill up a plinth with some type of permanent resin, and then be unable to remove it, or indeed sell the component due to the over-enthusiastic 'intervention/innovation'

As to the Obsidian - I never knew it was glass - I had always thought it was a non-resonating composite like the one on the SONY TTS - learn a new thing every day.
Timeltel.
Ha.. I marvel at the little things in analog that make big differences. Then we are trying to accurately measure an exceedingly little thing. I also marvel at the existence of intelligible music via a record given the "complications" that exist.

I would say that without stylus drag you have no music. The force it imposes is significant, observable and varying. It is one factor that must be considered when putting together a TT.
Parrotbee
This is a tad unfair given that you don't know what I do do, and what else I have built and fiddled with.

Hi Parrotbee
I didn't mean yourself when I said.
I used to say to myself ...hmmmm looks like a hole / space there. Wonder what would happen if I filled it ? When an audiophile based on theory alone, said don't do that, its not right because of xxxxxxx, but showed no real direct experience with it himself...... ..Hell..the more reason to go and do it.

I didn't even know of you up until last week ? Sorry for the confusion. I was referring to others in past dealings on this forum - like some of the debates on the Copernican thread.

It think it really goes back to my poker game analogy and cards showing. We would all benefit imo in knowing more about yourself/experiences being the OP but its your choice obviously.

fwiw -
My cards are all showing. In fact if you have read the ET2 thread and my system thread you probably know some things about me that my wife doesn't even know.

The strangest/worst thing one can do is fill up a plinth with some type of permanent resin, and then be unable to remove it, or indeed sell the component due to the over-enthusiastic 'intervention/innovation'

I agree and Blue tac(k) is reversible. In fact I can if I wanted take down the SP10 in its current config and set it up in a full plinth in one day. I have been searching for pictures of the different stages of plinth build I did. But they were taken with my old Blackberry (fwiw - A POS Canadian company that I lost money on -sorry for the rant). If they show up on a hard drive somewhere will post them. this thread brings back a lot of ANALogue memories.

Personally am intrigued over your moniker. I think it is really cool. Does it have meaning behind it ?

Cheers