Skeletal vs Plinth style turntables

I am pondering a new plinth design and am considering the virtues of making a skeletal or closed plinth design. The motor unit is direct drive. I know that as a direct drive it inherently has very low vibration as opposed to an idler deck (please do not outcry Garrard and Lenco onwners coz I have one of those too) but simple facts are facts belt drive motors spin at 250rpm, Lencos around 1500 rpm, DD 33 or 45 rpm. That being the case that must surely be a factor in this issue. What are your thoughts. BTW I like closed designs as they prevent the gathering of dust.
parrotbee
Halcro, I can't make out from the photo how that cutting lathe is set up. Our lathe incorporates the platter bearings and the bearing track for the cutter head itself as a single piece of metal (which is quite massive).

With regards to the photo of your 'table, if it were me I would have not employed a tower and armboard to mount the arm, instead I would have affixed the arm directly to the plinth, which, in order to accommodate the platter as shown, would have been rather massive. The reason for this is that the tower and armboard both represent moment arms which can vibrate interdependently of the plinth itself. A simple test for this would be to tap the armboard with a metal instrument and then compare to the tone thus created when tapping the plinth. If different, a coloration is imparted.
Halcro, do you have any idea how that tower plinth builder now has access to bolt/unbolt the motor unit or change wire with the tonearm if necessary?

Form does not seem to follow function?!?
Atmasphere,
It appears to me (from the photo of the lathe) that the platter support is inside the supporting base which must also enclose the drive system.
The cutter appears to be mounted on a 'rail track' fixed to the surface of the base which allows positioning and clamping of the cutter machine.

I'm not sure I follow your directly fixed arm description for my set-up...?
Could you perhaps elaborate....👀❓
I tapped the armpod and shelf (plinth) with a metal object whilst the stylus was on a stationary record...and the tone of both was near identical.
Whilst no sound was heard through my speakers when the shelf was tapped...a very slight 'tap' could be heard from the midrange driver when the armpod was tapped.
Pryso,
I imagine that the Victor TT is simply 'sitting' on the plywood plinth (as it sits on my stainless steel cradle)....but I can't envisage that the power cord exits at the base of the 'coffin'...❓
There are probably holes in the rear of the plinth for the exit of the power cable and also any tonearm wiring.....although with most modern arms the cabling is above the plinth.
Otherwise Chris may be correct.....there is a large door at the rear for the storage of beer....😜

02-09-15: Pryso
Halcro, do you have any idea how that tower plinth builder now has access to bolt/unbolt the motor unit or change wire with the tonearm if necessary?

Form does not seem to follow function?!?

Pryso

If indeed there is a beer fridge in there. then it is Function over Form