Watching records play when I was a kid helped get me interested in electronics and technology.

There is something to be said for being able to watch your music play as well as listen.
Mapman.

I agree about the visual look of a record spinning on a turntable. Sure the fidelity is what we most want but the look and such of the record on turntable set up has a coolness to it.

Tape is sorta similar, Reel to Reel machines also look cool as tapes turn, even cassettes look cool in a deck.

Funny thing about CD's is that many of the first gen models had windows to be able to see the CD spinning. Not just top loaders like many Philips models but most first gens had doors that opened like a cassette deck tape door and one dropped the CD in it then closed it. It allowed one to see a CD spinning from the front face of the unit. Though I never had a front loading CD player as such, I did have a Philips CD-101 top loader and thought the window looked cool. Too bad none are made as windowed front loaders today.
Les, Metronome Kalista Transport (I have one) and I think Oracle CD player, has CDs spinning plainly visible, just like a Turntable with a clamp (mine is clear so you can look at the spinning spindle even) in the middle.
Odd statement at the end...

"Most older turntables have a feature that allows users to replace the cartridge that controls record playback quality, a feature that might be important to audiophiles. Newer models are often outfitted with ONE STANDARD CARTRIDGE THAT WON'T ALLOW THE SOUND QUALITY TO BE ADJUSTED." (Emphasis added.)

Are they refering to those cheap little Crosley players? Otherwise it's a very odd statement.

Regards,
Tom
After attending anything like Stadium Rock, I want to take a shower to get that essence off.