Direct drive vs belt vs rim vs idler arm

Is one TT type inherently better than another? I see the rim drive VPI praised in the forum as well as the old idler arm. I've only experienced a direct drive Denon and a belt driven VPI Classic.
rockyboy
Off the deep end will be when someone here says that a power cord made a difference in turntable speed accuracy. Which is both on- and off-topic.
Hi Ketchup,
I'm not sure how else to say it. If you have a timeline or someone who has a timeline could do that test- measure after 20 minutes and then do a 2 hour measurement. See if the per rotation error calculates out the same or not. That would dispel my notion about too few data points.
I have a MIT powercord on my CD player. It made a difference; but I would not call it a cheap powercord. btw- seems like I saw a thread somewhere once that claimed a better powercord on their VPI controller, maybe, made a difference?
One of the downsides of having a turntable that uses an oscillator preamplifier and power amplifier to drive the motor means I have to run 2 MIT power cables/MIT Magnum MA interconnect/custom MIT speaker cable just to run the turntable. It was worse when I drove the TT with monoblocks.
I noticed that my LPs sounded cleaner after I upgraded the power cord to my Loricraft PRC 4. Just kidding. It's a mad world.

All of this serious writing about turntable speed and measuring devices had me wanting to contribute some levity to the discussion. Sorry.

Back to the topic and hand and thanks to those of you who are really thinking about this and sharing your results.
Richard,
Do you have any theories other than eccentricity as to why the results with the Feickert are inconsistent?
That's my main one....although I suspect that fluctuation of mains power could affect the sensitivity of the sine-wave generation frequency?
It appears that results are better late at night.....and without air conditioning on?.....at least chez moi :-)

Regards