Rega RB301 VTA Adjustment other than standard?

It is to my understanding that from the factory REGA assumes one will use a REGA cartridge. I also understand that the tonearm is fixed to the base with 3 screws on 3 factory "spacers" already and with the stock felt mat the VTA is set for a REGA cartridge????? correct??? ok now my problem.

I am using a Ortofon M2Blue and have many records "standard" thickness, many 180g and a hand full of 200g.

I have messed around with removing the felt mat with the record on the glass platter just for kicks and YES I heard a big improvement.

With my new findings this past Friday night I ordered the 3 point spacer ring and a record puck.

NOW MY QUESTION!!

When I get the spacer do I remove the factory spacers?

How do I know which spacer setting will allow me to play my standard and 180g without a hassle?

What is a good starting point? (do I set it for standard weight records and get a thinner felt mat for when I play my 180g records?)

Any suggestions would be awesome.

Thanks,

Kev
128x128thegoldenear
ok i got it installed started at 4 brought it down to 2 nice on all grades of vinyl

but the record puck i got from Mitchell for the REGA TT its does not work with 180 or 200 gram records.

That stinks
2 is what I usually use also.

Glad you were able to get it installed!

Sorry about the puck. Never tried that brand on the Regas.
Hi I have a Rega w/RB-301 and I use a JA Mitchel Record Clamp, it has a burled aluminum knob and is very light, you just push down a little and it grabs the spindle (I have an upgraded groovetracer subplatter, it has a longer spindle) Pucks just sit on the record and ive found them to be worthless. I love my JA Mitchell record clamp and I use it without a mat directly on a acrylic platter (groovetracer)with no worries about scratching anything.JA Mitchel makes a REGA version for the stock spindle to! I paid around $60. hope this helps it sure made all my vinyl sound like 200+ gram records! All of them. Also I recommend Gruve Glide treatment and Wet washing used dirty records with a spin clean record washer. I love spinning vinyl.

laters

Matt M