Setting Azimuth

Details:
VPI Scoutmaster
JMW 9 standard tonearm
Soundsmith Zephyr cartridge band new
Using a Fozgometer and Hi Fi News Test LP both also brand new
I'm measuring at the interconnects off the turntable.
I cannot seem to achieve a proper azimuth that will give even channel balance. The only adjustment on this tonearm is the counterweight which is weighted a the bottom so turning it side to side should effect azimuth. Only extreme changes are affecting channel balance. I changed the interconnects in case they were causing the problem, but I get the same results. The right channel is a few decibels louder no matter what I do to the azimuth unless I make an extreme adjustment which has the tonearm cocked to one side and obviously this is not correct.
arnold_layne
And adjusting azimuth is done to minimize crosstalk. Period.
Wrong. You heard what I did with your neighbor Michael's rig. Minimizing crosstalk was not the objective.
I recall looking at the display on your computer and seeing how adjusting azimuth affected the relative phase of the two channels. I know you prefer to say that adjusting azimuth affects phasing. Most of us do not have the equipment to monitor phase whilst adjusting azimuth. However, I am fine with your correction of my bald statement; obviously azimuth affects both phase and crosstalk. But I don't think it's wise to confuse the OP. His issue seems to be channel output. My basic point is that adjusting azimuth is not a way to cure a difference in output between the two channels. Are you arguing with that point? I still say it is NOT a good way to do that. Nor is it even wise to correct channel balance by adjusting azimuth, since that may throw off the phase relationship, in your parlance, or result in suboptimal crosstalk, in mine.
Agree... despite responses from me, Essentialaudio and Lewm trying to help, the OP still seems fixated on trying to adjust channel balance.

Until he understands that azimuth does not particularly affect channel output it won't matter what widgets he sticks on his tonearm, what test records he uses or what measuring devices he buys. One can't optimize a car's front end alignment by checking the oil. Buying a better oil filter and a dipstick with a digital readout won't change that. ;-)

Like many I optimize azimuth (and VTF... and SRA) by listening to music with a thoughtful ear. The endless fascination for overpriced gadgets like the Foz amongst vinylphiles astounds me. What happened to learning what music actually sounds like. then working toward getting your rig to sound closer to reality?
Lewm: No, I take no issue with the point about azimuth adjustment not being a way to change channel balance. Far from it.

Doug: I agree with your remark about overpriced gadgets, but adjusting by trial and error without measurement can be akin to throwing darts blindfolded. I charge a nominal fee for my alignment service and get raves every time.
Dear Brian,
Doug Deacon and I agree: Azimuth does not have much effect on channel balance. But I am just a shlub. Don't take my word for it, although I did experiment with this just to prove to myself that it is true. Using the suitable test track and my Signet Cartridge Analyzer, I was able to demonstrate to myself that changing azimuth from one extreme to the other, using my Triplanar tonearm which has easily adjustable azimuth, had a less than 2 db effect on channel balance, and to get that much difference, you have to go to ridiculous extremes with the azimuth setting, as much as 10 or 20 degrees off the vertical. Also, if you go to Vinyl Asylum and search the archives, you will find white papers on azimuth by both Victor Khomenko (chief engineer at BAT) and by Brian Kearns; these make similar statements vis a vis channel balance. Those two treatises plus the experiment I personally conducted are the bases for my statement. Please tell me why you disagree, with some supporting data or a reference, if possible. I am willing to be proven wrong, but not by a mere assertion from you.

By the way, it would seem that the OP's own results support my thesis. He admits that he made large changes in azimuth, and it had little to no effect on channel balance. For this he blames the Fozgometer. My point is that he should not have expected azimuth to affect channel balance. Thus the Fozgometer may not be defective at all. I think this is Doug's point, too.