Setting Azimuth

Details:
VPI Scoutmaster
JMW 9 standard tonearm
Soundsmith Zephyr cartridge band new
Using a Fozgometer and Hi Fi News Test LP both also brand new
I'm measuring at the interconnects off the turntable.
I cannot seem to achieve a proper azimuth that will give even channel balance. The only adjustment on this tonearm is the counterweight which is weighted a the bottom so turning it side to side should effect azimuth. Only extreme changes are affecting channel balance. I changed the interconnects in case they were causing the problem, but I get the same results. The right channel is a few decibels louder no matter what I do to the azimuth unless I make an extreme adjustment which has the tonearm cocked to one side and obviously this is not correct.
arnold_layne
Agree with Actusreus re the CI. I own the VPI Classic and had always found adjusting azimuth and VTF nightmarish. But the CI changed all that. I believe that with the use of a tiny featherweight bubble level, I can adjust azimuth almost perfectly. Interestingly, VTF cnanges very slightly over the disc -- from outer edge to inner edge near the spindle. I suspect this is because of the timy force exerted by the tonearm wire twist used to make a rough justice AS adjustment.
Wow! You got a lot of response in a short time. I am too lazy to read them all, but the answer, as far as I am concerned, is that azimuth is NOT a way to change channel balance, if you are talking about the output of each channel. Azimuth has very little effect on output, as you have discovered. Azimuth affects crosstalk, the amount of information in the R channel that leaks into the L channel, and vice-versa. And adjusting azimuth is done to minimize crosstalk. Period.
And adjusting azimuth is done to minimize crosstalk. Period.
Wrong. You heard what I did with your neighbor Michael's rig. Minimizing crosstalk was not the objective.
I recall looking at the display on your computer and seeing how adjusting azimuth affected the relative phase of the two channels. I know you prefer to say that adjusting azimuth affects phasing. Most of us do not have the equipment to monitor phase whilst adjusting azimuth. However, I am fine with your correction of my bald statement; obviously azimuth affects both phase and crosstalk. But I don't think it's wise to confuse the OP. His issue seems to be channel output. My basic point is that adjusting azimuth is not a way to cure a difference in output between the two channels. Are you arguing with that point? I still say it is NOT a good way to do that. Nor is it even wise to correct channel balance by adjusting azimuth, since that may throw off the phase relationship, in your parlance, or result in suboptimal crosstalk, in mine.
Agree... despite responses from me, Essentialaudio and Lewm trying to help, the OP still seems fixated on trying to adjust channel balance.

Until he understands that azimuth does not particularly affect channel output it won't matter what widgets he sticks on his tonearm, what test records he uses or what measuring devices he buys. One can't optimize a car's front end alignment by checking the oil. Buying a better oil filter and a dipstick with a digital readout won't change that. ;-)

Like many I optimize azimuth (and VTF... and SRA) by listening to music with a thoughtful ear. The endless fascination for overpriced gadgets like the Foz amongst vinylphiles astounds me. What happened to learning what music actually sounds like. then working toward getting your rig to sound closer to reality?